M2 Timing Advance

I was cleaning off an old hard drive and came across this article. Does anyone have any idea about it's source and/or validity?

Randy

By "tricking" the ECU, the timing can be advanced in the M2. To do this, the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) must be moved. There is not enough adjustment capability built into the stock CPS, so it must be modified to permit the adjustment. This is done by enlarging the mounting hole on the CPS with a Dremel tool. When complete, the stock timing of 9-11 DBTDC will be changed to 14 - 16 DBTDC. The steps involved are:

  1. Unplug the CPS and remove the undercover and CPS bolt.

  1. Remove the CPS.

  2. Using the Dremel tool, enlarge the bottom side of the CPS mounting hole/integrated washer by 2 mm to 2.5 mm (0.078 - 0.098 inches) in order to gain the upward movement in the CPS.

  1. Re-install the CPS. The gap between the pulley plate teeth and the CPS should be between 0.5 and 1.5 mm. Torque the CPS bolt to 69 - 95 in/lb.

Reply to
Randy Maheux

i can't identify the source, but i can and will vouch for the efficacy...

i performed this mod on my '99 sport several years ago and it worked like a champ...a timing light confirmed the claimed advance, and the SOP meter seems to indicate somewhat more low-end torque.

a couple notes:

- the CAS is difficult to get to on AC-equipped cars.

- the CAS is plastic, with an embedded metal sleeve where the mounting bolt penetrates it. grinding with the dremel heated the sleeve to the point where the plastic around it softened and it came out. i removed it and called the hole sufficiently enlarged. i was concerned that without the sleeve, it might not be sturdy enough to remain securely mounted, but i've had no difficulties whatsoever.

i recommend it!

dookie

Reply to
dookie

I could swear I saw it in the garage of miata.net, but it does not seem to be there anymore. Gary may have thought again about posting it, maybe.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen