Mazda6 + inverter

I have a Targus inverter that's throwing a low batt alarm (or at least I think it is - no instructions in the blister pack at all). It's rated for 10A maximum draw. I'm plugging a notebook adapter into the inverter. It's supposed to draw 1.5A max.

Unfortunately, I'm away from my owner's manual and can't check the specs for the Mazda6 cig lighter. But as this thing is made for an auto, I would guess it's within range of Mazda's specs.

Any ideas what may be happening? I'm using the center console plug, not the dash. Does it make a difference?

Reply to
Jeremy

Daniel Nguyen

1.5A at 110 V?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks for the reply guys.

The laptop charger is rated for 100-240V - 1.5A. No clue as to what that means. I suppose the charge can be a trickle charge (ala RC radio) depending on actual watts. Does this mean it wants 150W or more?

The owner's manual rates the center console at 120W. The ashtray is not rated - it says not to use it. Different gauge wiring or something?

Anyway, I think I might repost on some of the ham newsgroups. A lot of people bypass the cigarette adapter altogether for their short band radios.

Reply to
Jeremy

It's common to fuse the adapter outlets at 10 amperes. Your inverter may draw 13 amperes at maximum display brightness, or more if the battery in the computer has been discharged. It won't take long to draw down the car battery at this discharge rate if the motor is not running.

I don't know the ampere-hour rating of the battery in the Mazda6, but it could be around 45 ah. This means you would have about 3 hours run time before the car battery is totally discharged.

Reply to
Larry Gadbois