Power inverter

Hi, just a quick question, I have a 1992 K reg fiesta and I want to use a power inverter in it. I just wanted to know before I go and buy 1 if it would work in such a small / old car, or will it just fry my electrics or anything.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
Chris

depends what u want to run from it

Reply to
Theo

An audio Sub speaker is what i was planning to run from it.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
Chris

eh?

Reply to
Theo

sorry, that didnt even make sence to me, lol

I want to run a bass box from it. problem is, it is not a car bass box, its one that i used to use in the house. I just dont want to go out and spend more money on a new 1 for the car. So i wanted to know if i could use my old house one in the car using a power inverter.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
Chris

Running a mains sub from an inverter? Cack handed way of doing it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

dont bother, unless you have a big car, it will rape your car battery.

Also the home hifi stuff runs at different Ohm's then car stuff 4 vs 8, so you will prolly bust it anyway :)

If your like me, you will take no advice of anyone in here and do it anyway, so go give it a try, worst you can do is break it :)

Good luck

Reply to
Ron

lol, so true

Reply to
Chris

In article , chrisash32 @ntlworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

the sub might work, but even if it does, it will be running at 4ohm instead of 8 don't know if that will make a difference.

With your inverter, wire it directly to the battery, don't bother with the ciggy lighter. Run the wiring through the firewall through a proper grommet that is already there, under the dash, and then under the carpet to get to wherever you want to situate it (under the back seat, in the boot, stapled to the headlining if you so choose).

you may also end up with ground loops with the inverter running from one ground point (and so the sub) and the radio from another.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

so the general feeling is that i should wire it direct to the battery and along under the carpet etc etc.

also, the sub uses 60w power, so i could get a fairly low grade inverter then i guess??

thanks

chris

Reply to
Chris

It's bad news for the battery to be drained, on the whole, but that aside, most will be 40 amp hour or higher. If you are draining it in minutes with a 40 amp fuse, either the battery is getting on a bit or the fuse doesn't blow when overloaded.

Reply to
Questions