noisy valves -cure needed

my '93 red has been offering up a little vavle noise when the engine is first started or when it's idling. The oil's full. My friend tells me that is probably won't be necessary to perform a valve job rather, valve adjustment could fix the problem unless they are hydrolically operated but then it should only need inexpensive parts requiring valve cover removal (only).

Anybody know the real deal? What's the problem and what's it take to fix it? Thanks

Francis

Reply to
Francis Fisher

That's pretty much just the way it is.

Unless it gets loud and never goes away, it's not really a problem. Miata's mostly just have valve noise.

Faster driving and a good stereo.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

All good advice. Here's some more: use only Mazda oil filters, no Fram or whatever they're using this week at the Jiffy Lube..

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

When was the last time the oil was changed? My '92 gets rattly when the oil needs changing. In theory, using a Genuine Mazda filter may help - there's some valve or something that helps keep the oil up in the head when it's stopped.

Has it gotten worse lately? Miatas do have a noisy valvetrain...

Frink"tickticktick"Lemur

Reply to
FrinkLemur

They are hydraulic and thus no adjustment. The lifter noise is quite common and quite normal. Some of us have had it almost since new and it seems to be tied to the oil change interval. I find that by changing at

3,000 miles on a regular basis that I don't get the noise. Others have experimented with different weights of oil, dino vs synthetic, etc. with varying degrees of success. By 92 they were supposedly using an HLA with a larger passage but either they didn't or it didn't work. Doubtful it's indicative of the need for a valve job unless you have excessively high miles or it's not been maintained on a regular basis.

Tom

92 Red

Francis Fisher wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

Thanks to the braintrust!

And yes, i've been using jiffy lube filters and so i'll end that one. i'm kind of irked at them anyway for when they call me out of my chair to step me up for something i never asked for. Makes me think of the idea of sitting at wendy's, hearing your name over a speaker to come to the counter and then they ask if you like to biggie-size that coke.

Francis

Reply to
Francis Fisher

I was a lot more irked when I had to use a Pennzoil quickie once, then at the next oil change found that they'd "torqued" the drain plug to 55 lb-ft! Don't let them near your car.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

valve noise is actually a common and unfortunate condition of mazda motors. i've owned 3 626's (84-90-94), a 94 protege and 93 miata LE - they all had the same issue - even after having the valves tightened at the mazda dealership - within weeks they were rattling again. so i just dealt with it after that.

Reply to
synefx

Yep... I'll second that. I've had two 626s (both '82s), and worked on another a bit for another fellow (his was an '81 - same engine as the '82s) and all of them had/have "clicky" valves. Oddly enough, it seems (at least in the limited cases I've been exposed to) that the main "clicker" has been on the #4 cylinder. Haven't been able to decide if it's the intake or exhaust valve that's the "guilty party", but it's quite clearly one of the #4 valves, as determined by stethoscope. The other three sets have always been nice and quiet.

Go figure...

Reply to
Don Bruder

My '00 Miata has had a slightly noisy valve train ever since new. In four years of daily driving and conscientious maintenance, the noise has never changed noticeably, for better or worse. "They all do that" might sound like a lame excuse, but it's probably appropriate in this case. In my experience, the Miata's motor is simply not as quiet or smooth as those in your typical Toyota or Honda, and comments from automotive critics and other owners seem to agree.

At any rate, those little clicks and clacks from under the hood have never diminished my enthusiasm for the little car. I just enjoy the ride.

JM

Reply to
Mojo

Your car does not have hydraulic adjusters. According to the maintenance schedule, they should be checked/adjusted every 24,000 miles. Valve noise is better than no valve noise in your case.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

The Miata was supposedly designed to be "the MG for the rest of us". I figure it's supposed to make those noises as a tribute to it's British roadster heritage.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

And how much did you pay for that?

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

Well, you left out that the quickie places invariably lean on the barn doors. On occasion, I'm forced to use a Jiffy Lube, etc. and always make sure to leave the headlights in the up position to somewhat discourage them from leaning on them.

It is fun to see these grease monkeys try to change the filter, though.

Reply to
tooloud