Rear Wheel Bearing

My right rear wheel bearing is starting to die on me. There's a section on Miata.net about replacing the front hub/bearing assy. But nothing about the rear bearings. From what I've heard, this is a higher-difficulty job & I probably should leave it to the mechanic. Is that true, or would this be something you might tackle at home?

-Scott (94)

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Scott Hughes" wrote

I think you need a bearing press to remove it. Beyond my toolset and mechanical capabilities for sure.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Reply to
M. Cantera

M. Cantera wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My mechanic said it was the bearing. I'm fairly confident in his diagnosis, but since I don't know what a drive shaft knuckle is, the answer would be no, I'm not sure.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes
1st I don't have the procedure in front of me. But this is how you remove the hubs so you can get to the axles.

Note that the hub nuts are torqued to a minimum of 175 ft-lbs and you will need a big ass breaker bar, 1/2 inch wrenche and a good torque wrench to tighten things up once you are through. and, likely, a grinder , to cut the old nuts because they are a bitch to get out and it is easier to cut them off and put new ones in place.

Also, note that I don't know what type of bearings are in the hub. It may be easier to replace the hubs, otherwise, you will need a bearing puller. and the shafts and the differential seals if they are close to their service life. Keep spare seals for all the bits affected, and if the shaft fall out of the differetial or deforms the seal, be prepared for the diff oil to seep out.

Reply to
M. Cantera