Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does a rotary engine work?
2. What's a boinger?
3. Why does a rotary engine make as much power as a boinger twice its size?
4. Why does a Renesis make so much more power than prior rotaries?
5. How reliable is a rotary engine?
6. Is the rotary engine dead?
7. What do the 10A, 12A, 13B & 20B Mazda engine designations mean?
8. Why two spark plugs for each rotor?
9. What spark plugs should I use?
10. Why does my rotary Mazda have an oil cooler?
11. Why does a rotary burn oil?
12. What oil should I use?
13. Should I use synthetic oil?
14. Do oil brands matter?
15. How often should I change my rotary engine's oil?
16. Should I mix oil in the fuel?
17. What's the best fuel for my rotary car?
18. What gas mileage should a rotary get?
19. Does a rotary have any booby traps I need to watch out for?
20. Will removing my thermostat help my rotary run cooler or make more power?
21. When should I shift?
22. What is an apex seal?
23. How do I know if my engine's apex seals are OK?
24. What should my engine's compression be?
25. What are the differences between earlier & later Mazda rotaries?
26. What are the differences between 6-Port & 4-Port rotaries?
27. How do I tell a 12A from a 13B?
28. What is a thermal reactor?
29. What's the best way to test changes I make that affect my car's power?
30. What if I switch to a light flywheel?
31. How do I get the old flywheel off?
32. How hard is it to stop oil from leaking?
33. O-rings? What o-rings?
34. What's that foamy stuff under the oil fill cap & inside the filler tube?
35. Why does my engine smoke when I first start it?
36. Why does my engine smoke when I shift at high RPM?
37. Why won't my engine start? What can I do to start it?
38. Why is my engine locked up, and what do I do about it?
39. My engine just failed its emissions test. Now what do I do?
40. What's the best way to make my rotary car accelerate quicker?
41. How hard would it be for me to rebuild my rotary?
42. What is porting all about?
43. Can I add a turbo to my NA?
44. Why is rotary exhaust replacement or improvement so expensive?
45. Why not hollow out the cats?
46. How do I remove my air pump?
47. How do I stop the backfiring?
48. How can I tell if my car has a limited-slip differential?
49. Where can I race my rotary car?
50. Corvttes, Mustngs, Firbirds, Camros, Porches & RX7s?
51. What are the RX-7 "generations"?
52. Which model RX-7 do I have? How do the various RX-7 models differ?
53. What other regular production cars have had rotary engines?
54. Why did Mazda stop selling the RX-7 in the US?
55. How do I subscribe/unsubscribe to the mailing list?
56. Is there an RX-7 club I can join?
57. My question's not on this list. Where do I go from here?
Plus, links to the RX-7 generational FAQ; tech goodies, such as the "Rotary
Parts Interchange" & "replacing 12A with 13B", in "The Garage"; links to
information on upcoming rotary models and rotary history; acronymn dictionary;
instructions for subscribing to mailing lists; links to vendors; and much more.
Just click on URL below to get to Felix's.
"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining
ever brighter till the full light of day." Proverbs 4:18 NIV
Click to see the full signature.