Soft Top Latch Springs

Top latch spring, left, has finally rusted through and broken. Of course, I cannot buy solely the latch spring from Mazda Dealer; you have to buy the entire latch assembly to get a new spring. Interesting that the Left latch assembly lists for $115 and the Right for $145 - uh, at my Local MazdaVolvoSubaruLincoln-Mercury Dealer parts desk.

Anyway; went looking for a substitute spring at Pep Boys, Earl's Surplus, etc. and couldn't find anything close. Looked in the Forum; no luck there either. Seems to me that these springs, vulnerable as they are, would rate a at least one post but I can't find any.

So, anyone out there know of a suitable substitute for these springs?

Reply to
McMahon

Try a junkyard.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Try your local hardware store like YardBirds or ace...They have a good collection of springs and washers etc. Larry Hill

Reply to
Larry Hill

RC models hobby shop. the there are springs on every RC car and available in 100 different size's and hardness. give it a try. but will have to adjust it yourself.

TM

Reply to
dingo

If you want the factory latch assembly, try Trussville Mazda. If you've checked them at your local dealer, and know the part numbers, I'd bet Trussville will be 20% less.

will getcha started.

Reply to
Southoceandrive

I found substitute springs at Orchard Supply Hardware. There's a small rack of springs at the end of the fastener's aisle in the West L.A. store. The closest match was a 'C-7' package - 3/16 x 1 1/2 x .018 Utility Ext Spring. These springs, with a little modification by needlenose pliers (2), worked just fine. The manufacturer is:

Century Spring Corp.

1-800-237-5225

Also FYI, Calif. NB '99-'00 owners. My '00LS just PASSED its first CA smog test. It's equipped with a standard JR Supercharger set up (stock crank pulley) and a Brainstorm Header and CAT-pipe. The header/CAT-pipe is not CARBed. The car was far below Max. allowable levels in every single category and, I guess, the supercharger sufficiently obscured the header/CAT-pipe. However, the tech who did the test was a solemn young man with his formidable Yamaha FZ1 chained to a pipe in the waiting area; so I don't think he missed the header. But I passed; header and all.

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

I have a '00LS also and I'm planning to install a JR Supercharger. What CAT-pipe did you install? Did you notice a significant difference in horsepower with the install of the supercharger?

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
Brian Collie

Since the CAT on the '99-'00 is part of the stock manifold, you have to install a 'BSP M2 Intermediate Exhaust' ($299) if you install the BSP (or any other) header (because you need a CAT). I went with a 4-into-1 header; mostly because I like the rough sound of it. The Tri-Y design, I think, sounds a little smoother. The torque curves are different. Bottom line seems to be more low-end with the Tri-Y; hi-end with 4-into-1.

The Ox sensor moves to the back of this intermediate pipe. It all works great; again, I passed smog and the car sounds great (I stuck with the stock muffler).

Of all the performance mods I have ever done on cars, I have never felt as big a difference in power after an installation as when I did the JRSC and header.

You'll notice a significant difference. Believe me.

-- SM

Reply to
McMahon

you're in luck! i have one that is in good condition, as a matter of fact i have the right one also! email me if you're interested. they are off a

95 miata

jackofspeed

the snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to