Test drove a 1999. Is the noise normal?

I test drove a 1999 Miata, 73K miles. The car was in great shape, but between 35 and 50 mph, there was a noise, probably tire noise, woowoowoowoowoowoowoo, so loud that I couldn't hear the radio. The guy said it has always been that way. Is this true? It faded as you reached 55. But, I can imagine that driving me insane, no matter how fun the car is to drive. Thoughts?

Reply to
Prometheus7

No, this is false, unless the car has always had a problem. I know that it is hard to believe that a car salesman would actually lie to make a sale ;-)

It faded as you reached 55.

It could be a lot of things, what made you think that it was the tires?

I would keep looking. One of the best things about the car is how many of them were made. It gives you a lot of choices when you are buying a used one.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

You haven't heard my muffler. :-)

Don't buy the first Miata you test. Drive at least five more, then you'll have a better idea about what's normal and what's not. Buy the one that makes you smile the widest, and don't worry too much about its milage if it's in nice shape.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

So did I ;-) :-P ~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

Aw, Cissy, I shall always think of you as the delicious young babe installing her own Borla. I'm not interested in seeing any more recent photos...of you OR me!

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Oh lordy..I had forgotten about that :) LOL! too funny! Guess that's why I had all mirrors taken out of the house when I faded at 55 :) ~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

I have a 99K which I bought used 3 years ago. I've put 13K miles on it since then. The mileage is now 47K and I've NEVER had any tire noise.

I'm sure there is a reason for the noise, they just can't figure it out. You should be able to find a car you can fully enjoy no matter the speed!

Hope this helps

- Pat

Reply to
Pat Dreiding

It's going to depend on the tire. My AVS ES100s are pretty noisy, something I expected but it would probably startle someone else.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

It also may depend on the tire's state of treadwear. Some start quiet, then get noisy as they wear. The pavement material and construction make a difference, too.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Wow, a 99K! That sounds impressive! Can you be more specific?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen