Winter in Wyoming

I hope this hasn't been asked too many millions of times in this newsgroup, but is there any general advice for mothballing my '03 SE over this winter?

It's garaged, and I just can't bear to take it out starting now til about the end of winter, which around here means mid-April (and even then, we can get some horrendous snow storms).

Thanks

Reply to
AlanRab

Miata.net may have instructions, I haven't checked. But here's what my common sense tells me:

  1. Check the antifreeze for adequate protection. I know, it's almost new, but check anyway. Change the oil.
  2. Drive the car until it's good and hot, to cook any moisture out of the crankcase and exhaust system.
  3. On the way home, stop at a gas station. Add a can of fuel stabilizer to the tank, then top it off. Pump the tires up to 40 psi, 'cause they'll probably lose some air before spring. Drive straight home.
  4. Once the car cools, plug the tailpipe, airbox intake, and ventilation intake to keep rodents from denning. Top up, windows up.
  5. Remove the battery and store it indoors, on a trickle charger.

If you don't have a garage, a car cover would be good.

This is all off the top of my head; I drive my Miata all winter, except in snow.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Sure: don't.

Put on a hardtop and four snow tires, and drive it!

;)

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Just reading this makes me sad. All the little Miatae in the land can't be happy living in such places.

Doug

Reply to
Doug