Battery Charge Rate Mazda 6

Hi all

As the subject really - Anyone know what the voltage should be at the battery when the engine is running please? I am seeing about 14.5 volts and I am told this is high. The owner' manual doesn't seem to cover this though. Have checked the output of the battery under load and it holds up at 12v without the engine running - thought it might be being overcharged.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I would think that "IF" the battery is sulfated the voltage would tend to go up.

Dale

Reply to
Dale_Peterson

It is alleged that TheScullster claimed:

It's a bit higher than I've seen. I used to use a radar detector that had a volt meter as a side-feature, my MZ6s would show anywhere between

12.9ish and 14.2ish, depending on weather and what was turned on at the moment.
Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

"Dale_Peterson" wrote

Thanks Dale

Looking at the definition and causes of sulfation though, this appears to be a condition that would affect batteries in occasional use with long intervals between charging. Is it your experience that this can also affect car batteries as new as

2-1/2 years old?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

14.5 is good for a modern charging system. Nominal should be 13.8, but 14.5 is good, considering all the electrical toys cars have on them.
Reply to
Hachiroku