Please explain how a Battery charger works ...

Please use simple words, becuase English is my second language,,,

Let say I have a small battery charger 12 volts and 6 amps.

1-How much voltage should I have at the terminal when I am not connected to a Battery?

2- Knowing that my charger is 12 volts, how can I charge a battery up to

14.5 volts?

3- What are the step the charger follow when you charge a battery ? Let say the Battery read 11 volts. My understanding is that the charger will push 12 volts 6 amps in the battery, then the Amps will diminish while the voltage will increase ? Am I right ?

Thanks

Reply to
rick

The voltage will practically depend upon the degree of charge of the battery, the temperature, and the electrolyte strength. Each cell will have a fully charged voltage in the order of 2.1 volts, so a 6 cell battery would have a total voltage of about

12.6 volts when fully charged and not connected to a charger.

If your charger can only put out 12 volts, you cannot charge any battery to

14.5 volts. Chargers generally put out higher than 12 volts.

The battery will take current from the charger and the terminal voltage of the battery will rise toward its maximum possible. The current will not necessarily be a constant

6 amperes but will start at a high value. The current in amperes will decrease to a minimum value (but not zero) as the battery charges.
Reply to
HLS

Reply to
rick

good grief

he wants to know how much voltage at the CHARGER when not connected

no shit, sherlock

Reply to
TranSurgeon