Re: 1986 944 Turbo failed Emissions this morning

My car failed its yearly emission test this morning the readings are below,

> any help in the right path to start fixing it would be a great help > > 25secs at 25MPH > > Reading Allowable Result > HC - ppm 031 162 PASS > CO - % 0.04 1.04 PASS > NO- ppm 1893 1163 FAIL > RPM 2371 1500-3000 PASS > CO+CO2 14.7 6.0min. PASS > > > 50secs at 15MPH > Reading Allowable Result > HC - ppm 025 167 PASS > CO - % 0.03 0.94 PASS > NO- ppm 1873 1273 FAIL > RPM 2457 1500-3000 PASS > CO+CO2 0.1 6.0min. PASS > > > I had a new catalytic converter installed yesterday > > > TIA > > Rob

Well,,,let see,,,you failed NOx, both low and high speed. Both CO and HC are were well within range and about where you would expect them to be on a good running Porsche. Unfortunately Nox is the hardest of the gases to control. It is created by high burn temperatures, either from elevated combustion chamber temperatures or from lean pockets in the fuel air mixture.

The easiest way to control Nox, the way most manufactors do it, is to add some exhaust gas into the mix via an EGR valve. (EGR=Exhaust gas recirculation) But, as I remember, the 944 turbo doesn't have an egr valve. If by chance I'm incorrect, and it does, make sure it's working correctly.

Then, make sure the engine is not running hotter then normal. Cooling fans and thermostat working correctly.

Next thing is to get the spray pattern from the injectors as good as possible. That cuts down on the lean pockets. Easiest way to do it is have a "Motorvac" or one of the other professional carbon cleaning services done on the engine. The professional versions of this sertvice are much more effective then the injector cleaners you buy at the auto supply store. But in some high mileage cars, new injectors might be needed. The nozzles will get wear grooves with age, and no amount of cleaning will help in that case. If you have a way of testing the spray pattern off the car, you want a fine cone shaped mist coming from the injectors, any distinct streams of fuel are a problem.

Next thing you can try is going to a colder heat range spark plug. But I've had iffy luck using this trick, it helps sometimes, sometiumes not.

Last hint, try to have the retest done on a cool and/or humid day, and the engine temperature as cool as possible. When I have a car that's giving me trouble with Nox, I always get it to the inspection station early in the morning, and don't run the engine longer then necessary to get to operating temperature. You would be surprised at how much difference this makes.

HTH, Dave

Reply to
karma-kanic