190E 88 ignition lock

Hi, the igniton lock lock on my 88 190e didn?t work sudenly. According to service manuals you can take the lock out by turning it to Key Position 1 and with a special tool (which is easily made from some welding wire) the lock can be taken out. But since the key wouldn?t move anymore I had to drill out the cylinder. A fun job since the plate on the outside is really hardened. HAving done all this I can start the can with a screw driver. But the lock won?t come out with the specioal tool. I have moved the lock to KP1 and put the slanted pin in at the right place to disengage the mechanism that holds the lock in place. The lock won?t budge. Someone else has had the same problem? and come up with a solution? Even the mechanic I go to for stuff I can?t do doesn?t know how to solve this. Any help is welcome Thanks.

Reply to
Benny88

You really need to pull everything out of the tumbler... then you really need to wiggle and push the pins all the way in... it goes in like an inch or something. There are two pins to release it... one on top and one on bottom.

Reply to
Tiger

Also make sure that the wire you use to make the tool is very stiff. I used coat hanger wire.

Peter W Peternouschek

Thanks for the reply. I have drilled the whole tumbler part out with an 1/2" drill and wiggled a little to make sure every part of the turning cylinder is gone. That way I can reach the back part a can start the car with a screw driver. With a 2 mm rod I made the tool to take the cylinder out. The tip of the tool is grinded at a 70 deg angle as discribed in the Haynes manual. The tools goes in appr. 3/4" before it catches the relaese machanism. The tool is inserted an other 1/4" till it strucks the end. But somehow the lock won?t come out. I thing I do everything the right way, it seems there is something else that is holding the lock in place

"Tiger" wrote

Reply to
Benny88

On the inside of the tumbler, you should be able to see the tension spring on it... it sticks outward to grab onto the lock... see if you can yank that out. It will be lined up with the pins that you inserted.

Sometime those pin are just too thick. I simply use straigtened out large paper clip.

Reply to
Tiger

Sounds like you only made one 'tool'. It takes TWO of them to release the black collar and tumbler.

Karl