190E not starting after apparent LPG backfire

Hi,

I hope you can help me.

I have a 2.0 190E (1992) and have been running it on LPG for the last year. It has had the occasional stutter, but nothing really amiss, although recently it seemed to be a bit down on power.

I was driving it through town the other day there when it mis-fired a couple of times, then stalled and would not restart.

The breakdown vehivle came and after the mechanic removed the airfilter cover the sponge covering on the top was seen to be a bit burnt. He surmised that the inlet was blocked with this stuff and not letting sufficient air through. I though this may be plausibe and that a similar thing must have happened on a previous mis-fire, hence the lack of power.

However I cleant up the air sensor inlet and pushed it down and could detect very little debris.

I replaced the plugs and cleaned stuff up a little more and tried to start the car. It tried to run, but failed. I then put about 30ml of petrol down the air sensor and the car started briefly but again died after a little while.

I could then get the car started and keep it revving, though it was missing badly and eventually stopped.

Any clues. Is there a way to check that fuel is getting through OK. I was thinking of taking the air sensor and throttle body off and giving them a good clean, back to the idea of the engine being strangled with debris.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Have you checked your overload relay fuse? Is there any way you can run gas even though you have conversion?

It is possible that your timing maybe way off... don't know how that would happened... maybe bad timing chain tensioner? You have to do diagnostic work to determine what is wrong with your car.

There are just too many things that can go wrong to discuss here... cleaning will not help much...

Reply to
Tiger

Where is the overload relay, os more specifically its fuse, located? All the fuse box relays are intact.

Having read a couple of posts, was going to buy a new relay, but its costs about £5 less than the cost of letting Mercedes look at it for an hour...

Reply to
Dave

Hi,

Found the fuse and unfortunately it was intact! Looks like its in to the garage. :o(

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hi,

Car back from garage. Kicking myself now for not checking this myself, but the distributor cap and rotor arm were well worn. The garage replaced these and I handed in a set of ignition leads, rather than pay 130+vat for the handmade merc items, once these items were fitted the problem was cured.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

LPG is clean but it burns real HOT