190E transmission

When I take my 1987 190E in (to a non-Mercedes service garage) for servicing, it always comes back with ~0.5 L transmission oil added. When I check the levels (with the engine hot, and running) the transmission oil is way too high. Previously, I've always siphoned some oil off, to get it at the right level. From the manual, I gather too much oil is bad? I wonder why the levels can't be checked with the engine cold? Regards, John

Reply to
JOHN CRAIG

ATF expands when heated. If you check it when cold, it should be about 5mm below the add mark. At operating temp, it should be between the marks.

Reply to
Karl

What you say corresponds with what it says in the Mercedes instruction book. It says that after filling to between the marks when hot, the level will *drop* on cooling the engine. It warns against adding more oil when cold. What I find is quite the opposite. On cooling, the level is about 1cm higher than the full mark. On heating the engine up and rechecking, the oil is between the two level marks. I wonder if anyone has commented on this before? John

below the add mark. At

Reply to
JOHN CRAIG