Checking Transmission Fluid

2000 Avalon I just had my transmission fluid changed. I noted when the engine was running and warm that the fluid level registered at the "cold" mark on the dipstick. I called the mechanic and he told me that, according to Toyota, the fluid level on an Avalon should be checked when the engine is not running. My owner's manual does not cover this but my Haynes manual indicates it should be checked with the engine running (like every other automatic I have ever owned). So which is it? Thanks. jor
Reply to
jor

Generally, automatic transmission fluid level should be checked with the engine running, transmission in park, and warmed up.

Reply to
Ray O

That mechanic is dead wrong. Check it on a level surface while running.

Reply to
qslim

When the engine is running the torque coverter is full. When not running the fluid in it seeks its own level by draining back into the sump. Checking with the engine not running will show an overfull condition. Ron

Reply to
n877

Thanks to all for the answer on this. I figured that was the case. jor

Reply to
jor