1980 300CD center support bearing question

I recently had the transmission rebuilt in my 1980 300CD. The transmission shop called me right after they had the trans back into the car. At that time they said that my driveshaft center support needed replacement. I thought they replaced both the rubber support and the bearing. However, I looked under the car and it appears that the rubber support has been replaced but the bearing is original because it has a torn dust boot.

At low speed I'm getting a rumble or shutter which seems to be coming from under the center of the car. It's worse on harder acceleration or going up hills. Could it be a worn center support bearing? I don't know if the transmission shop reassembled the two halfs of the driveshaft correctly? Are the two halfs marked after being factory balanced? BTW both flex discs have been replaced along with both rear axle half shafts (with new parts). The car has 270,000+ miles on it (63,000 miles since I rebuilt the engine). Everything but the center support dust boot looks fine under the car but I still have the vibration. Any Mercedes mechanics out there with suggestions.

Reply to
VCopelan

Yep... look like you need a rebuilt driveshaft. They really don't come apart at all so they can't mess up on that.

Reply to
Tiger

It could be the support bearing. The drive shaft should be inspected to determine the problem. It might be as simple as loose bolt in the flex joint. Despite what Tiger says the center bearing CAN be changed and rather easily. The U-joints cannot be changed. I believe some drive shaft shops can replace the entire joint with a servicable one.

Chas Hurst

transmission

Reply to
Chas Hurst

That's what I meant the U joint can't be changed... I think it is like $230 for rebuilt driveshaft from Driveline (Seattle?)

Reply to
Tiger

You may be thinking of "Drivelines Northwest"

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Could be. I used Driveline Service of Northern Virginia, when I did this sort of work.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

As long they are fully capable of doing it and balancing the shafts... not alot of shops in US can do this job. I only thought of Drivelines because I remember their advertising and that they make non-serviceble unit into serviceble with grease fitting.

Reply to
Tiger