escort rear alternator bearing replacement question

I did already change the bearing, so far it seems fine, but I was wondering there was a fiber washer right behind the slip ring, in front of the bearing, and one behind the bearing,under the sheet metal dust cap. I put them back in, but not sure if I needed them or not. Thought it might be some type of dust seal for the OE style bearing, and maybe with the new bearing, (generator shop told me it was a sealed bearing) I did not need the fiber washers or seals?? Don't think it will hurt anything, but was just wondering. Paid $5.00 for the bearing, advance auto wanted $145.00 for a rebuilt alternator. But just in case anything goes wrong again I can get a rebuilt from the generator shop for about $80.00. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

No one has any info on this one I take it then? Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

No, if the fiber washers were in there as shims they should stay in. And even though the bearings are allegedly "sealed" they are cheap insurance to give the crap one more barrier to get past.

The only other 'maintenance' thing to do while it's apart is to change the brushes.

If it's more than that let the generator shop handle it. Because they have the tools and test gear to test the components while it's apart, and they should stock the regulator, replacement rotor and stator windings, diode bridge, output studs and insulators, and other bits that might need changing.

They buy the replacement parts in bulk, and get a decent deal. You'd go nuts tracking a source down, or have to pay /way/ too much to a supplier willing to sell you just one.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to