1981 MB 240D Fluids to use??

Howdy Recently bought 1981 240d automatic, love it, but without documentation, do not know for sure what type of fluids to use for: transmission, power steering, rear differential, etc. Cannot afford to go to a dealer, purchase MB brands!

Reply to
Doug

Call 1-800-367-6372 (Mercedes-Benz) and ask for their list of approved lubricants for your model.

You should know that there is a small paper filter in the power steering reservoir.

The change intervals are 5K miles engine oil & filter, 30K miles transmission fluid & filter, 2 years coolant and brake fluid. Valve adjustment every 15K miles, preferably in the fall so winter starts are not compromised by unadjusted valves.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Outstanding idea - thank you T.G. Will MB info translate to something that I can buy on the AutoZone shelf? I am fearful of using the wrong type of fluid. Hard lesson learned with previous (ford) vehicle. Wrong power steering fluid resulted in failure. Doug

Reply to
Doug

The list will be various Brands.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Some advice that you are well advised to heed; do NOT take an old benz to a dealer. Look around for a competent indy shop. Here in Vancouver I know of a couple of very experienced and reputable Benz factory trained mechs who charge 50% to 70% less than a ripoff dealer with newbie mechanics. Luckily, these are reliable tanks and there hasn't been much need for a mech.

w123 are relatively simple cars, compared to what's out there today and the only reasons to go to a dealer with a car is if you have warranty, money to burn or have no other resort.

cp

Reply to
cp

Clean at 10,000 miles and change as necessary

Reply to
CaptainW116

STRIKE THAT COMMENT,

Reply to