I want to buy a Miata!!!

So I have been searching for a Miata, but I think my standards have been to high - please correct me where I am wrong.

I want one of the following

A 1999 or newer model for $6500 (or less) - after negotiations

- 5spd

- prefer leather more for the package that comes with it (bigger sway bars & Torsen Rear End)

- something with less then 100k miles

- prefer top and clutch, have been replaced

- never been painted / wrecked, no major problems (oil leaks, knocking, etc.),

A older body style 90-97 (not picky on year, 94 or higher preferred) - $2000 (or less)

- 5spd

- runs good

- paint ok condition

- no MAJOR wrecks - no salvage titles

- besides that I don't think I can be to picky for this price

I have been searching the local classifieds in Austin

&
plus-
Any other places I can search?

The reason my prices are at this level is because in the past I have hesitated on opportunities to buy at these prices, which of course they were gone quickly.

Am I out of my mind?????

Thanks for the advice,

Dustin - if you would like to respond directly please send emails to dustinorrick(nospam)@austin.rr.com - remove the (nospam).

Reply to
Dustin

You forgot eBay...Larry HIll

Reply to
Larry Hill

Ah yes I did, but I have been searching that as well - thanks though.

Reply to
Dustin

I think you're out of line on the $2k price, unless you want a car that was stolen and stripped?

On the newwer car, you mention you want top and clutch replaced, sorry but a properly used miata clutch will not need replacing at this age / mileage (under 100k), same goes for the top. Generally tops last about 7 yrs on up to 10 or more if well protected and such.

I'm all for you getting your full wish list but don't be penny wise and pound foolish as they say. If someone's taken good care of thier car (and that should be important to you), they are going to want to get a reasonable price. If it hasn't been cared for they are more likely to just want to unload it for the minimum.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

You're assessment sounds pretty accurate. I paid $2500 for my '92 last January, it was no where near prestine however. I had to replace the top, radiator, and brakes soon after buying it (I was aware of this on purchase and talked him down from $3200). It had over 190,000 miles when I bought it, and the engine was replaced 45,000 miles prior. The thing runs great after fixing those problems, however there is some noise coming from the drivetrain which I noted when I bought it 15,000 miles ago. I'm not sure how long the transmission/differential lasts in these cars. I replaced all of the fluids with synthetic, same as the owner before me used religiously, to no avail. The sound doesn't appear to be worsening, so I am completely satisfied with the car and surprised with it's durability after the loving abuse I throw it daily. The engine has seen 6500+ rpm a couple of times a week for the past year and the thing still purrs like a kitten and reved freely after replacing the fuel filter... While I'm on it, has anyone else noticed how sensitive these cars are to dirty fuel filters? After only

5,000 miles on the last one, the engine is starting to lose some of it's instant throttle response it had on the last change. Are there any performance brands out there?
Reply to
Bryan

It may be the fuel! I'm having lots of trouble with the injectors sticking, and believe bad gas is the culprit. Since most of the stations get gas from the same tanker company and refiner (in this area) there is no safe source that I've yet found.

Reply to
chuckk

What about fuel addative as a regular thing, maybe every other tankfull?

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo