2002 Avalon drivetrain starting to whine at 28 to 30 miles per hour...

It's a low whine, and only present at 28 to 30 mph, but it's there. Will it get worse? Is there anything I can do to prevent it getting worse?

Steve Henderson

Reply to
Steve Henderson

Gear whine is generally not something that develops over time unless there is fluid loss or incorrect fluid added to the transmission and/or differential. I would check the condition and fluid level of the automatic transmission fluid (ATF), and if it was recently serviced, check the type of ATF that was added.

Are you sure that the whine is not engine RPM-related? In other words, note the engine RPM that the whine occurs at and see if it happens when you rev the engine to that RPM with the car in park or neutral. If so, check the power steering fluid level to make sure it is not low. Low power steering fluid will make the PS pump whine. This is the most likely cause of the whine. If the PS fluid is low, check for leaks in the PS system.

Other things that can cause a whine are tires (tread pattern, improper inflation, or road surface); alternator; wheel bearings; water pump; idler pulleys; and AC compressor.

Reply to
Ray O

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Once again, Ray O comes thru with accurate, complete and concise diagnosis of a problem. What would we on the ng do without you? Many thanks (even from one whose Avalon is Not whining!)

Reply to
mack

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Hopefully, the OP will let us know what the cause is.

Now, if I could only get my 16 year old daughter to stop whining when one of her brothers has the Avalon that they share!

Reply to
Ray O

Make sure she has the correct fluid installed.

Reply to
Art

get worse? Is there anything I can do to prevent it

is fluid loss or incorrect fluid added to the

level of the automatic transmission fluid (ATF), and if

the engine RPM that the whine occurs at and see if

neutral. If so, check the power steering fluid level to

whine. This is the most likely cause of the whine. If

inflation, or road surface); alternator; wheel bearings;

a problem. What would we on the ng do without

the cause is.

her brothers has the Avalon that they share!

Hehe, take away the phone. She will be so upset everybody will forget about the car! Just kidding Ray, I would wish the battle that would start on any other teenagers father.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Been there, done that. Getting wisdom teeth pulled is a lot less painful!

Reply to
Ray O

it get worse? Is there anything I can do to prevent

is fluid loss or incorrect fluid added to the

level of the automatic transmission fluid (ATF), and

note the engine RPM that the whine occurs at and see

neutral. If so, check the power steering fluid

PS pump whine. This is the most likely cause of the

inflation, or road surface); alternator; wheel

of a problem. What would we on the ng do without

the cause is.

her brothers has the Avalon that they share!

teenagers father.

eek, correction. "I would not wish the battle that would start on any other teenagers father."

Reply to
Danny G.