1984 Mercedes 500 SEL Exhaust

I was wondering, how hard would it be to buy exhuast parts online and then put them all together and on the car? My exhaust on my car is toast. Literally everything has holes in it, except the manifolds I think. I got a quote from the muffler guys around here, it was like $1200 for everything but the cats, and another $500 to do the cats. I just want something so the car isnt as loud as it is, but cheap. Anyone got any alternatives, or should I just bite teh bullet and go ahead and get it done. Im pretty good with tools and cars I would say, and If building an exhuast system is practicall, I would love to tackle it on my own if practical.

Reply to
Rick

$280 for cat back system... onlinea at autohausaz.com

It is pretty easy to put the system in yourself or hire a local shop to put them in for you. It only takes an hour if the car is up in the air.

Otherwise, you will need some heavy duty shop jack and stands to raise your car up at certain key points like the driver side rear side... I think black Rhino ramps will help you tremendously in the front.

Never use your factory jack to do this work or you will kill yourself. Don't forget to set parking brake at all time.

Reply to
Tiger

I have a large garage to work in and a set of ramps as well. The entire system needs to be replaced, every thing except for the manifolds are rusted out. Is that price for everything? Or just the cat converters

Reply to
Rick

Cat converter is the most expensive part... Long ago, I bought Timevalve cat... I think I paid like $360 for it... I don't know what they want for it now.

As for the $280... that is two piece muffler system from cat converter and back. You will need some gasket and clamp and maybe some hangar if they are torn on your car.

AutohausAZ also have the cat converter for $450... Everything ships free.

Reply to
Tiger