3" Single Exhaust

I have an 89 Chev SB 4X4 wi a 350. The 2 1/2" pipes off the stock manifolds join into a 3" pipe then the fun starts. The previous owner modified the system to include a catalytic converter (cat) with 2 1/2' inlet and outlet and a single 2 1/2" muffler. Ive had other 350's and this one feels stifled by the current exhaust system.

Where I live cats are not manditory so Im thinking I could remove the cat and replace it with a 3" pipe, muffler and tail pipe. Im thinking a large muffler off a 454 should do the trick here.

Would this give better economy and performance?

Thanks in advance,

Tulpas

while I'm loathe to tell you to remove the cat, an 88 should have had a cat w/ 3" in and out. I cut the exhaust off that the PO had installed (a 3" to 2" reducer after the cat and a 2" muffler and tail pipe) because I had the same feeling about my truck. I replaced it with a 18" piece of straight pipe and a 3" in/out universal turbo muffler. I retained the cat and I still got a huge gain in engine power and mileage... I'll never regret the 35 bucks I spent on it.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

while I'm loathe to tell you to remove the cat, an 88 should have had a cat w/ 3" in and out. I cut the exhaust off that the PO had installed (a 3" to 2" reducer after the cat and a 2" muffler and tail pipe) because I had the same feeling about my truck. I replaced it with a 18" piece of straight pipe and a 3" in/out universal turbo muffler. I retained the cat and I still got a huge gain in engine power and mileage... I'll never regret the 35 bucks I spent on it.

-Bret

Nov 14

I installed a 3" single exhaust with a flowmaster 40. The truck is noticably louder but not annoying (IMO). Throttle response is much improved. Turns out the old cat was plugged (?!?). I expect fuel mileage will improve now.

Regards,

Tulpas

Reply to
Tulpas