1985 190E 2.3 oil consumption

A relative passed away and I'm considering buying his car, a 1985 190E with 2.3 engine and 82000 miles on it. It runs very well but needs a quart of oil about every 1000 miles (using 10W-40). The oil doesn't seem to be dripping on the floor and I've driven it quite a bit and have noticed no smoke in the mirror. I notice what smells like hot oil after driving it. Good thing it has that "oil level" light!

I notice from the maintenance records that the M-B dealerships had been consistently putting 20W-50 in it.

Is a quart per 1000 at all normal for this vehicle?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Strieter

Since you smell hot oil after driving it for a while I would suspect a leak at the valve cover gasket or the front timing cover. The reason you don't see any oil on the floor is that the drip pan/noise shield under the engine is probably catching it. This is where my 1992 190e 2.6 had leaks.

Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

No. Too much.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Way too high. At 82K, my guess is the valve seals need to be replaced, if they haven't already.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

That is tremendous oil consumption for such a low mileage car... did you just get this? Did you do a carfax to confirm the mileage?

Reply to
Tiger

That is tremendous oil consumption for such a low mileage car... did you just get this? Did you do a carfax to confirm the mileage?

Reply to
Tiger
Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

My in-laws bought it new, so I'm sure the mileage is correct. Unfortunately, my father-in-law took care of the car and he's passed away now, so I can't get any info regarding whether this is a new problem.

Thanks for the input!

Dave

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
Dave Strieter

Okay... that is good enough of a proof. Then I would say that the valve seals are shot due to aging... It is fine to drive as is but eventually it will clog your cat converter if not yet done.

It is not that intensive of a job to replace the seals... but in any case, do not let anyone convince you to do the entire head job... that cost alot more money and just a waste of your money.

Reply to
Tiger

On 2004-11-03 22:07:40 -0800, Dave Strieter said: I notice what smells like hot oil after driving it. Locate and fix any external leaks like the valve cover gaskets and switch back to 20-50, and see how it goes... Good thing it has that "oil level" light! That is a nice feature...

No, that's way too much.

Good Luck, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph