1997 E300D Transmission Problem

My transmission now won't shift out of first. Has anybody else experienced this? I call the local dealer and they said if they have to replace the transmission, it would be $6000 - 7000!. I am hoping that the problem is something.

Reply to
MB

This '97 model has an electronically controlled transmission and it has a "2nd gear limp home mode". That's where your car is now.

My '97 (gas version) has a red cap on its transmission filler that I've never opened - if there's a dip stick attached I'd at least try to check the fluid level, also look at the transmission for leaks and pan damage.

Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the stealer - suggest you ask for a "Diagnosis and repair estimate" ONLY and then decide the next step.

Make them come up with a reason for the problem and a cost to fix that problem.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

We had that problem when we first bought the car. It won't shift past the first unless the engine and tranny was hot.... which is like 10 minutes of driving.

The fix was the valve body... get someone to rebuild that valve body or swap it out. That lying stealership... people prey on people who has no idea...

Reply to
Tiger

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Now my next question is...where is the valve body?

Reply to
MB

It is the heart of the transmission... without it, it won't work. It is located above the transmission pan... where the filter attached to... it is pretty big and heavy unit but totally accessible.

Reply to
Tiger