1999 CLK 320 replacement spark plug wires

Hi all,

I've just purchased a 1999 CLK 320 (140,000 kms). The MB dealership is doing an inspection, and told me the spark plug wires are frayed, and arcing (which may explain why the engine's in limp-home-mode at the moment). They quoted me C$650 for a replacement set (!) which seems kinda high to me. I'd be interested in some aftermarket high- performance wires, and was wondering a) if you could recommend which wires to get and where to order them on the Internet b) does $650 sound right to you for OEM replacement wires???

Thanks....

Reply to
Uniquecoupe

$134 a set... at autohausaz.com... look simple enough to change them yourself.

Reply to
Tiger

Probably may be reasonable. But you are getting more than just the wires. the expensive part are the spark plug connectors that screw into the wires and, probably, new distributor cap and rotor as well as plugs. Now, if only your wires are frayed, why bother with the rest. Wire is wire - no such thing as high performance wire - other than choosing one with good insulation. No more than 50c a foot or less..... then do it yourself.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

There isn't any distributor or rotor in this engine at all.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

Well, I've never had/heard of a car like that before. In any case, if so, then you are really SOL since there then has to be a HV coil associated with each plug.... even more expensive and probably easily explains the above cost

guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

From a dealer. Try buying them online.