1999 mercE320 wipers

i am having trouble with my intermitant wipers, when i put the intermitant wipe on it will not cut off after a couple of wipes, i have to manually turn it off, however when i push the switch in and use the intermitant with the washers it does cut off. has anyone come across this problem as it happened to me on my last merc, and the whole indicator/wiper switch got very hot and nearlly burst in to flames, i wonder if this is going to do the same or is it justy a faulty sensor somewhere? thanks tiger for the last response but this car does not have automkatic rain sensors on

Reply to
dobo via CarKB.com