Treating wipers

I was looking at an internet store that sold little packages of pads I guess that you would wipe your wipers with, and it was supposed to make the rubber last longer with cracking or stuttering.

Then when I was in a car store today I noticed there wiper blades that contained a little packet that looked like a moist towelletee pack and it said you were supposed to clean your wipers with that to make them last longer. Never noticed that before. The packet said it contained isopropyl alcohol. Is this a good thing to wipe your wipers with to make them last longer in good condition?

Reply to
jeffc

I'm not really convinced that using alcohol to clean your wiper blades will make them last longer, but I know that it does work very well to clean the surface oxidation from the rubber parts. Basically the type of rubber (synthetic material) that wiper blades are made out of, deteriorates due to sunlight and Ozone. Cleaning them with alcohol does make them work better because it removes the coating of deteriorated surface material, but there again, I don't see how that would make them last longer. Maybe they would function properly longer because they work better when they are cleaned.

Reply to
Kevin

Ya want a great set of wiper blades i.e. I bought a set of Triple edge wiper blades about 6 years ago and still have no issues. They cost me about 8 bucks for a set! I got them from one of those mail order magazines!

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

Maybe that's it.

Reply to
jeffc

And I agree with Kevin 110% on this. When blades oxidize, harden, deteriorate there is nothing to be done but to replace them.

Alcohol (isopropanol) can clean off a little grease, etc, but does nothing to renew the rubber, nor can any other chemical wake the dead.

Reply to
<HLS

Most wipers are made of latex rubber, which turn powdery from sunlight and ozone, and wiping off this powder can help. However alcohol doesn't help to preserve the rubber. There are stick lubricant/preservatives for windshield wipers.

You can find chemical compatibilities for many materials at

By choosing "natural rubber" and a compatibility level of "excellent," the database returned the following list, which seems to include only one liquid that may last long on wipers, castor oil. However you may want to experiment with some of the beverages listed, such as beer, whiskey, rum, and wine.

Adipic Acid Alcohols:Butyl Alcohols:Ethyl Alcohols:Hexyl Alcohols:Isobutyl Alcohols:Isopropyl Alcohols:Methyl Alcohols:Propyl Aluminum Chloride Aluminum Chloride 20% Aluminum Nitrate Aluminum Potassium Sulfate 10% Aluminum Potassium Sulfate 100% Aluminum Sulfate Alums Ammonium Carbonate Ammonium Chloride Ammonium Persulfate Ammonium Phosphate, Dibasic Ammonium Phosphate, Monobasic Ammonium Phosphate, Tribasic Ammonium Sulfate Ammonium Sulfite Aniline Hydrochloride Antifreeze Barium Chloride Barium Hydroxide Barium Sulfate Barium Sulfide Beer Beet Sugar Liquids Benzene Sulfonic Acid Borax (Sodium Borate) Boric Acid Butanol (Butyl Alcohol) Calcium Bisulfate Calcium Carbonate Calcium Chlorate Calcium Chloride Calcium Hydroxide Calcium Nitrate Calgon Cane Juice Citric Acid Coffee Copper Cyanide Diethylamine Diethylene Glycol Ethanol Ethylene Glycol Ferric Chloride Ferric Nitrate Ferric Sulfate Ferrous Chloride Fluoboric Acid Fluosilicic Acid Gallic Acid Gelatin Glucose Glue, P.V.A. Glycerin Honey Hydrobromic Acid 100% Hydrobromic Acid 20% Hydrochloric Acid 20% Hydrochloric Acid 37% Hydrofluosilicic Acid 100% Hydrofluosilicic Acid 20% Hydroquinone Isooctane Isopropyl Ether Ketones Lactic Acid Lead Acetate Lead Nitrate Lye: NaOH Sodium Hydroxide Magnesium Chloride Magnesium Hydroxide Magnesium Nitrate Manganese Sulfate Mercuric Chloride (dilute) Mercury Methanol (Methyl Alcohol) Methyl Acetone Methyl Alcohol 10% Milk Molasses Morpholine Nickel Chloride Nickel Nitrate Nitrous Oxide Oils:Castor Phenol (10%) Photographic Developer Phthalic Anhydride Potash (Potassium Carbonate) Potassium Bicarbonate Potassium Bromide Potassium Chloride Potassium Cyanide Solutions Potassium Ferrocyanide Potassium Nitrate Potassium Permanganate Potassium Sulfate Propylene Glycol Rum Salicylic Acid Salt Brine (NaCl saturated) Sea Water Shellac (Bleached) Silver Nitrate Soda Ash (see Sodium Carbonate) Sodium Acetate Sodium Benzoate Sodium Bicarbonate Sodium Bisulfate Sodium Bisulfite Sodium Borate (Borax) Sodium Bromide Sodium Carbonate Sodium Chlorate Sodium Chloride Sodium Cyanide Sodium Hydroxide (20%) Sodium Hydroxide (50%) Sodium Hydroxide (80%) Sodium Metaphosphate Sodium Metasilicate Sodium Silicate Sodium Tetraborate Sorghum Stannic Chloride Stannous Chloride Starch Sugar (Liquids) Sulfuric Acid (

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

TCP is the only chemical that will help rubber blades last longer. (tricresyl phosphate)

Reply to
stuart8181

Not trying to be cynical, just trying to stay better informed. Do you have any source of information that indicates TCP is better than mild soap and water or even alcohol for prolonging the life of synthetic wiper blades (not rubber)? Does it have any adverse affects such as windshield streaking or damage to other finishes? Is it hazardous to your health or the environment? Is there an easily obtainable source for this product?

Reply to
Kevin