$2000 for 1991 190E with 170,000 miles

Good deal?

It's well cared for and everything works. I think it had a partial engine rebuild about 50,000 miles ago. Original tranny. No rust.

Please post reply here,

Thanks

Reply to
jbarts

I think that's a bit high... but you have to understand that you will definitely need a new tranny soon. $2500 at your local tranny shop or $1800 if you order your tranny and have a shop put it in.

Reply to
Tiger

Why do you assume he will need a new tranny soon? It depends on how the car was driven and or maintained.

Marty

PS I think it's a little high too :~)

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Maybe it isn't... It really is impossible to tell without seeing/hearing the car in person.

I paid $2600 a 6 months ago for my 1986 190e, and although it only had about 110K miles on it, I certainly felt like it was a good deal then, and even after my repairs and additional money spent (tires, etc.) I am very happy with it.

So it's tough to say based on so little info really...

If the car is really nice and clean and truely rust free as stated, and the motor and tranny are solid, I do think it's worth it...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

It is not the cost of the purchase that you have to consider on older cars... it's the pending repairs... especially on high mileage car... Without driving the car, I can't tell what it is worth... but hearing 170K miles on the clock... I know that there is a good possibility that it will need a tranny overhaul soon... unless it has been rebuilt.

Tranny life cycle is like this generally...100,000 miles if driven purely in city... like New York City.... 160,000 miles suburban driving... or about

250,000 miles on highway only car. Other type of driving such as heavy acceleration, abusive driving will adversely affect the mileage also...

If you are normal folks who have their car serviced by mechanic. then the tranny will cost $2500 itself.

Other things can go wrong on the car too... We owned a 190E so we know what the quirks it has...

Suspension work, shock absorbers, steering components... just too many things to consider. KBB say the car is worth $2500 in good condition... that's subjective...

Reply to
Tiger