2000 outback with 70k miles for $10,900?

i'm looking at a 2000 outback with 70k miles at the local dealership. it's already had the coolant additive as preventative maintenance against the head gasket (which is further warrantied until 2/08 or 100k miles) and the PCV valve replacement to prevent crank seal problems. also has had the O2 sensor replaced under warranty. it's a standard but with leather and woodgrain.

they want $10,900 and that's fairly below edmunds TMV and blue book. any advice from this board as to whether or not this is a good deal? seems it to me and i've searched these archives and noted possible problems. all seem to have been addressed, so i guess i'm just checking one last thing by posing the particular question.

thanks if anyone has any advice.

Jack Butler

Reply to
butler.jack

Seems high to me. Check

2000 is the first model year of the second gen Outbacks, and there were some bugs that were worked out from 2000-2004. Plus, there' s the mileage. Plus, it's now almost six years old. I would guesstimate it's value at closer to $8,000.

Reply to
lkreh

good idea to check nada, but they still put it at $13,500. i am definitely conscientious about the possible bugs in the 2000, but do you think the preventative maintenance i listed in the original post goes a signifant way toward heading off those problems? what could be checked further? thanks for the comments.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Butler

I have a 2000 obw with 135k miles on it at present.

The cooling system conditioner IMO isn't anything more than a radiator stop leak but may be formulated for the Subaru's small cooling passages in the radiator. It's just putting off the inevitable IMO.

I would be surprised if the engine made it more than about 125k miles before the head gaskets start giving you problems. (The indie shop I use says this is about the expected life for factory original HG's) You can expect a $2k bill for dealer replacing these. At 100k miles you're going to need to replace the timing belt, and most likely the water pump. Could be a couple other items in need of replacement in the same area so would be good time to do that as well.

I've been fighting end of life on the cat converter as well for about last 10k miles. At dealer replacement cost for this could run abt $600.

Outside of this I'm not had any problems with the car. I did the timing belt and water pump replacement my self and will do so for the cat converter. Had the HG work done by professional as I had a long trip planned and did not want to discover my lack of knowledge on the trip. $2k for maintainence is a lot more than I've ever spent on a car and I've been driving close to 40 yrs and I usually keep my cars close to 10 yrs.

Other than the high cost of maintainence at this point, we've liked the car.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

forgot to mention in the original post - dealer records show that the original owner bought a timing belt from them, but took it elsewhere to have it put in. don't know if she did the water pump at the same time. what symptoms should i look for regarding the catalytic converter? also, how much was it to have the head gasket work done by your shop? i don't relish the idea of paying $2k to the dealer to deal with the hg.

all that having been said, was your source who referenced the 125k mile life of the hg referring specifically to these that have had the problems or all subaru HGs period?

thanks.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Butler

It's really a crapshoot. Assuming you have the 2.5L, I'm not sure why the timing belt would have already been replaced b/c normal interval is at 105,000 miles. That's the next big service. At 105,000, I'd expect to pay roughly $325 parts/labor for belt, $250 parts/labor for belt tensioner, and roughly $300 parts/labor for new seals and water pump. These should all be replaced as preventive maintenance. If any were to fail before next belt interval, you need to pay for another belt replacement. Many also replace oil pump while the belt is off.

I would also expect that you'll need to replace brack rotors at about

100,000 miles (rotors and pads will run you about $950 parts/labor).
Reply to
lkreh

I have a 2K outback wagon with 70K miles on it and I would guess that $10,900 would be a good price. This ones sounds very close to mine in history. I'm about ready to put on new front brakes, but other than that, no problems. There has been a little leakage from the drivers side headgasket, that the sealant stopped. I'm guessing that it will let go before I hit the 100K mark. I thought the factory was covering it for 10 yrs....have to check on that one. Good luck with your purchase...Jim

Reply to
Jim L

The shop I used for the HG is a Subie only shop with 20 yrs in business. They use only factory parts. When I first suspected the HG going they asked how many miles, 125k and they said that was typ. Was loosing coolant at abt an oz every couple days.

A price I was quoted for the belt replacement including water pump and crank/oil pump seal abt $500. I did it my self for $100.

As for the HG their typ price quote is $1800. Pull the engine, resurface the heads and reseal the complete engine. In my case since I has recently replace the belt and WP, the cost ended up at $1325 out the door. Local dealer said $2k. Mentioned checking the heads but nothing else.

For the cat, it has been a case of CEL cycling on/off for some time and now mostly on. Error code say cat efficiency is below nom, no other codes present. If I would have seen a code for one or both O2 sensors, would be thinking something else is at fault. At 135k miles this is beyond expected life of a converter.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Did you end up buying this car? You posted the above on June 1.

I recently bought a 2000 Legacy L wagon with 42,000 miles for the same price. Mine has fewer miles but is less fancy, so they may be roughly comparable. I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Why would anyone buy a used car with 70k miles and pay that much???

2000 is the first year of the new design so I'd be cautious. You'd be better off buying a new subaru for 20-21k which is possible with some aggrssive dealing.
Reply to
jabario