timing chain

Hello, I blew a head gasket the other day on my '89 C1500 with 4.3 TBI. Since I have everything on the front of the engine taken of anyway, should I take this time to change the timing chain? it's original with about 350,000 miles on it.

thanks, nanook

Reply to
nanook

Since you have everything else off the front of the engine you might want to check the play in the chain. How is the rest of the engine? 350K sounds like it may be getting close to a complete rebuild anyway.

Reply to
Mark Schooley

thanks for your response. the engine smokes a little at start up and goes through a quart about every 3000 miles. I haven't gotten the heads off yet to see if there is any damage to it, hopefully it's just the gasket.

I'm new to the engine rebuilding gig, it's a real option for me, as a new 4.3 is $3700 from Chevy. what does that entail and how much can I do myself? I have plenty of space and getting my hands on the tools won't be a problem. my skills aren't too terrible, I do all my own maintenance and most of my repairs on both our vehicles, mowers and other gas/diesel equipment. I've probably done everything short of a rebuild.

if/when I go the rebuilding route, what should I be looking at in the way of parts and maintaining the use of the factory computer? I'd like to see another 350k miles out of the engine, as long as they are reliable ones. If I go for a quality rebuild with no compromises, how much do you think I'm going to spend?

thanks again for responding and any advice you have.

Reply to
nanook

Your going to have to Drop the oil pan anyways to replace the chain cover lower gasket

Reply to
tom

Reply to
slim_cd