I have a 230E that I am trying to solve overheat fault for a friend,
I found that the magnetic radiator fan did not seem to cut in when idling
and gauge shows 100'C.
Took out switch in head, found it was a pirate switch made in Italy and
showed temp of 85'C.
Tested switch in boiling water with multimeter - no continuity at all.
Bought second hand switch from scrap yard, original merc but is stamped at
Tested and found working in boiling water but only after quite a while.
Installed in motor and tested. Car reached 80'C while driving and then
100'C at idling quite a while but fan still did not cut in. Ambient is
pretty cold now so maybe it needs a higher ambient before it cuts in.
Any advise please.
My car (1986 190e) has a 110degree sensor. This is an item I would buy
new, rather then at the boneyard. you can test the fan's function just
by grounding the sensor (you know this, but others may not).
Yeah, just grounding the sensor should activate the magnetic clutch
(i.e. fan is hard to turn by hand. Oh, make sure engine is NOT running
:-). If fan is loose, check if there is voltage on the clutch socket.
If there is 12v, the clutch is bad.
Martin Joseph wrote:
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.