300E drive shaft bushing

Hello,

I'm getting ready to throw some parts at a problem on my '89 300E and would appreciate some advice.

I replaced the front flex disc a few months ago and am still (or perhaps now) getting some weird harmonic vibration in the drivetrain when cruising. Thought it was the tires so I replaced them and turned out I did have one with tread separation but I still have the vibration.

Now I'm going to pull the drive line and check the support bearing and rear flex disc--and here comes the question. What's the driveshaft bushing all about and how likely is it that it's part of my problem. Also, any comments about where else the vibration could be coming from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
mharness

When the flex disk goes and there's an imbalance the center bearing carier usually goes shortly thereafter.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I still don't quite understand the purpose of the bushing that fits between the front drive shaft and the transmission but I replaced it anyway along with the carrier bracket and bearing and rear engine mount and have definitely solve the vibration problem. The rear flex disc looked good but the carrier bearing was definitely funky so I'm sure that that was the main problem.

Mike

Reply to
mharness

I still had some vibration even after replacing the driveline parts so I went to a tire shop and had them shave and rebalance (on the car) all four tires. Still vibrated so I went back to the shop that sold me the tires. They also rebalanced them AND rotated the tires on the rims to wash out the "out of round" between the tire and the rim. That did the trick and I'm surprised, after shaving the tires (won't do that again). I asked the guy that did the work why they didn't just do the out-of-round thing the first time and he said that if they did they couldn't guarantee their advertised

30 minute installation time. It took him a hour this time and there was no charge. Go figure.

Mike

Reply to
mharness