300sd blow by

I have a 82 300sd that has got a lot of blow by.The car has good power and the fuel consumpsion appears to be good.The car is hard starting when the temperature is around the freezing point.The exhaust pipe is free of any blue smoke and only emits black snow when pushed hard when still cold.It is using a little oil.would it be possible for the head gasket to be leaking from the cylinder to an oil return gallery.The engine did not have a great deal of blow by a few months ago.The engine sounds good and tight,No niticeable piston slap etc.Has and one even come across this befor.I am going to give it a compression check soon.Do the cylinder liners have a habit of getting talered over time .The car has 460 000 km on it.

Reply to
tony grimwood

IMHO, after running 285K miles, this engine will need an overhaul before next winter. The minimum compression is 15 BAR (218 psi) vs. 22 - 24 BAR specification when new or overhauled.

The head gasket is probably OK but the piston rings are worn. It won't just quit on you but will begin to use oil and be harder to start, even when the weather is warm.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach