300SD transmission

hi all,

got some problems with my tranny on my 83 300SD. when the transmission fluid is cold it will flare on the 2-3 and 3-4 upshift. it will also make a loud clunking noise when downshifting 4-3,but only when cold. it shifts perfectly once the tranny fluid is hot. the modulator has been replaced and the tranny fluid changed every 20,000 miles. modulator pressure is set according to specs. i was considering inspecting the B2 piston to see if that was the problem. any suggestions will be appreciated

E.T.

1983 300SD 331,000 miles

P.S. the transmission has about 80,000 miles on it since rebuilt.

Reply to
ET

car has 331,000 miles, tranmission has 80,000 miles on it. last filter and fluid change was 7000 miles ago (including draining torque converter). i am using aamco dextron III fluid

Reply to
ET

Pull the vacuum line to the tranny and drive it. Does it flare now?

If so, then your vacuum control valve atop the IP needs to be calibrated or replaced.

Loud clunk on downshift, especially if it happens sometimes is a sign of not enough vacuum.

So, it sounds to me like you have too much vacuum sometimes and not enough at others. I'd check out your VCV and vacuum source.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

thanks for the reply. it will flare with the vacuum line off too, but only when the fluid is still cold. i haven't checked the VCV valve yet, but i was thinking that because it only flares with the tranny fluid cold that the problem was not vacuum related (bad servo or piston). i'll check out the VCV and let ya'll know

Reply to
ET

It could be a vacuum leak. Check the hose which rises from the top of thevacuum pump on the front of the engine. It feeds an "H" shape rubber divider. remove the two hoses from the left side and plug the fitting with two wood golf tees.If the tranny shifts better and the car runs better, you hav a leak soomewhere. You won't hurt the car by bypassing the unnecessary plumbing.

Reply to
Peter Klein