Which remanufactured engine company?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for an remanufactured engine for my 1977 Toyota Celica. I have done a ton of research and it comes down to either "Jasper Engines" or "West L.A. Engine" I've read good and bad things about Jasper; more good than bad. I can't seem to find much on "West L.A" probably because they are not as large.

I'm curious if anyone has dealt/heard from people that dealt with "West L.A Engines"? They quoted me around $1270 and 3yr./unlimited mile warrenty. Jasper quoted me $1831 with a 3yr./75,000 warrenty. These are for longblocks.

Do one or the other use better parts and that is the difference in price. I know the old saying, "you get what you pay for". What would you do?

West L.A. Engine --

Jasper

Thanks again, rock

Reply to
chadrockman

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ( 1977 Toyota Celica )

Looking for remanufactured engine, considering two rebuiilders:

Jasper Engines <

> and West L.A. Engine <

West L.A Engines quoted around $1270 with a 3yr./unlimited mile warranty. Jasper quoted $1831 with a 3yr./75,000 warranty. These are longblocks.

Do one or the other use better parts and that is the difference in price. I know the old saying, "you get what you pay for". What would you do? __________________________________________________________

Ask both to give you a written list of parts and processes used in rebuilding your engine. Based on that information, get the engine you think will be least likely to need warranty service: enforcing a warranty is a lot of grief no matter who issued it.

Consider finding a rebuilder near your home who will provide the same quality of parts and workmanship as the other two. Then if you ever need warranty service you can personally deliver the defective engine in a pickup bed instead of shipping it by rail.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

And you not likely to find much info on a small outfit like the LA people. I do have a Jasper engine in my car. It was put in about 4.5 years and about 70,000 miles ago. I highly recommend them. At least in my case it was expensive, but worth it. I suspect that most of the bad stuff you heard about them was old information.

Reply to
scott21230

That's another great response to Jasper so it looks like Jasper wins! Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it.

---Chad

Reply to
chadrockman