'74 240D Odometer Question

Hi, folks -

I've got a '74 240D with a temperature-dependant problem.

The mechanical Odometer in my 240 ceases operation when the gauge warms up it seems (either due to cabin heat or outside temperature). Speedometer is fine in all temperatures. I've had the gauge out once, but being not terribly knowledgeable on Odometer Repair I couldn't find anything obviously wrong. I noticed a combination of plastic or nylon and metal gears (helical and pinion) and even noted the original 31 year-old grease still somewhat evident on some of the gearing assemblies. All in all, everything appeared to the naked, inexperienced eye to be clean and tight.

I've got the gauge cluster removed once again (as the car is back in storage due to Winter's Return here in Detroit) and am ready to look for a local shop that can repair it, but thought I'd ask the kind folks here on alt.auto.mercedes if anyone's encountered this before and if so, what their remedy was.

Thanks much in advance for anyone's assistance,

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Schmidt

Send it to Overseas speedometer. For less than $100 they'll rebuild it.

Reply to
ChrisH

Thanks, Chris - I'll give Overseas a call -

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Schmidt

Or you could just buy the gear that fails on all postwar VDO odometers (porsche,nb etc) for $25 from odometergears.com

Richard Sexton

Thanks much, Richard - I'll check out odometergears.com as well -

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Schmidt