Is flat key/emergency key a Master Key? ES300 2002

Hi all, I just bought a used ES300 - 2002. Both the remote keys didn't come with it. I have a valet key and the flat key.

Apparently, if flat key is a master key then I can buy an OEM key, have it cut and then program the new key to work with my car. Programming sequence involves use of one of the master keys.

Dealer cost for new key is $250. From third party, I can get it for about $90.

Any ideas will be helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

AJ

Reply to
opto

If you are talking about the flat emergency key that comes in a holder, I believe that it is a master key. If you look at the edges of the flat key, it should have a raised rib that the valet key does not have.

Reply to
Ray O

This key is meant to be kept in a wallet or purse as an emergency spare. The holder it comes in has transponder chip needed to unlock your system. You put the key in and slide the card towards the key until the alarm indicicator light goes out. The car will then start.

Reply to
Ice

Much appreciate the information.

I need to program a new key for which I need a "master" key. The manual clearly specifies that the two keys (remote) I don't have are master keys. The grey key is NOT "master" key. The flat/emergency key - manual doesn't specify if it is a "master" key or not.

Anybody know the answer to that? (I called the dealership and got conflicting answers).

Thanks.

AJ

Reply to
opto

Yes, the flat key is a master key. To check for yourself, see if it opens the trunk, glovebox, and trunk release lock in the dashboard. If it does, it is a master key. If it does not, it is a valet key.

Reply to
Ray O

Acording to the manual that the flat key will open every lock . However you must have the key case with the enclosed chip as well to make your duplicate so it can be read when starting the engine .

Reply to
Ice

This just in from the seller of the car who was able to talk to Master Mechanic at a local dealership.

Flat key opens all locks. Flat key can start the car ONLY if the plastic part is near the key as the last poster said.

Flat key is NOT Master key however.

Which means that I don't have a master key.

Good news is that year 2002 and later cars don't require a $1200 ECM reset job from the dealership to create a new Master key. It only costs $115 now. Key itself costs $250.

So, in short, if I had a master key and wanted another Master key with remote, it would cost me $250. Without a master key, it costs additional $115.

AJ

Reply to
opto

According to my owner's manual, you can make a new master key from the original master key or the flat key with the case for the flat key. While the flat key is not a "master" key, it still has all the function of a master key.

Reply to
Ray O

Here is an excerpt from

Of primary importance is determining if you have a key that is enrolled in the car's computer as a "master" key or a "valet" key. The procedure for making this determination is:

  1. Positively locate the "security" or "anti-theft" light. This light should blink when there is no key in the

ignition or if an unrecognized key is placed into the ignition.

  1. Insert the key you have into the ignition - DO NOT TURN ON. There are 3 possible things that may

occur:

(a) Security light continues to blink = unrecognized key.

(b) Security light goes off IMMEDIATELY = MASTER key

(c) Security light remains illuminated for 1-3 seconds before going out VALET key

So first hold the key holder within one inch or less of the ignition, put the flat key in while watching the security light, and see if the light goes out immediately. If it does, then the flat key and holder combined will enable you to program "real" keys. But you would want to delete all previous keys for the car first, as stated on the same website. The computer will only accept so many programmed keys.

There is more good info on that website regarding do it yourself key programming.

Also, if you can, like me, live without a key with buttons, you can order a NON-remote master key from Lexus, using your VIN,

"&ModelID=5 for, now get this, forty nine bucks!!!

I ordered two for my 2000 ES300 when I had to get the engine computer re-flashed. I had to pay $61. But WAAAAAY better that $250.

Now you tell me, are bottons on a key worth $201 plus tax more than a key WITHOUT buttons? I say NO WAY!!!

Reply to
Me

Much appreciate this information. THANKS!!

This is what I ended up doing.

Bought a key from ebay. It was a blank uncut key for about $65 delivered.

Brought this key to a local locksmith to have it cut. My intent was to then to follow the instructions here in these postings. Locksmith (Apple Locksmith in Morganville, NJ) offered to take care of everything i.e. cut the key reflash the ECM program the remote program the immobiliser on my old (valet) key and new key

for $70.

Total cost was about $140.

BTW, he programmed the valet key to be master also so that I don't have to buy another key right away. I didn't have need for valet key anyway.

Thank you all for your help!!...

opto