transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer

A Ford Explorer 2001 that takes a transponder key.

Let's say you have no keys, what would it take to get a new key made? Is this only possible at the Ford dealers? How much roughly will it cost?

Is there any workaround? Is it possible to break the steering lock and enable the ignition?

I'm in Kansas City Kansas.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

It is sometimes possible to negotiate this situation with the vehicle's computer, in which case the cost is not hugely unreasonable. Some locksmiths can handle this; any dealer should be able to.

If not, it becomes necessary to replace the vehicle's computer, in which case costs probably start around $500 and go up from there. In that case, you're talking to the dealer, or possibly to an auto mechanic if you're willing to accept a second-source module.

No.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

in my area $150 plus trip charge..

the ignition lock has LITTLE to do with the system too.. no transponder-no start..

plus proof its your vehicle..

IF you regularly have it serviced at a Ford dealership- call.. this will mean an extra tow charge to get it to the dealership..

if you have only one key, it requires the programming tool to add the SECOND.

you cannot 'have a transponder key cut', put it in and turn on and have the vehicle work..

If you are interested, the programming tool that the dealer uses is about $7,000 plus now, too.

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

You simply need to have two new keys cut for the vehicle and reprogrammed. Just call your dealer for a price..Replacing the computer will only place you back to square one- you will still need the keys cut and programmed. Also, it is the KEY that enables the ignition; it will still not start just because you break the lock and are able to turn the switch.

Reply to
Ted

my dealer is telling me different.. owners manual is not showing on board adding of the third key any more PRE 2000 or so, yes... 'some' models, you can.. but some cannot..

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

. . . as it pertains to the topic at hand.... I dug this link out. . .

As to the OPs concerns, I agree with the higher minds hear........ Be it from a locksmith or the dealer, getting another key is the least costly alternative. Not the only alternative. Just the most economical and most logical.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

about your link. wtf is this guy talking about, volts of resistance? get a pack of resistors close to your voltage.....ok.....right... shouldn't it say measure your keys resistance, buy resistors to match...Is he just making this up? he also said the wires are covered in tubing that say 'SRS caution' on them. OMG. did you read it marsh?

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

IIRR, when they first came out with it.. TI who at that time made the chip was talking about 42? quadrillion codes without duplication.

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

first out transponder Fords required 45 minutes..assuming NO keys. First out with the NON on board programming, require the hand held plug in device takes about 12 minutes..10 of that being a timer lockout built into the system. but if you do not have the required tool, you cannot program ANY keys into the vehicle..

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

I don't know where you are looking, here is a cut and paste from 2001 Explorer Owner guide, 1rst printing page 118:

Programming spare keys

A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle. Only

SecuriLocky keys can be used. To program a coded key yourself, you

will need two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already

operate your vehicle's engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily

accessible for timely implementation of each step in the procedure.

If two previously programmed coded keys are not available (one or both

of your original keys were lost or stolen), you must bring your vehicle to

your dealership to have the spare coded key(s) programmed.

Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

  1. Insert the first previously

programmed coded key into the

ignition and turn the ignition from 3

(OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition

in 4 (ON) for at least one second).

  1. Turn ignition to 3 (OFF) then 2

(LOCK) and remove the first coded

key from the ignition.

  1. Within ten seconds of removing

the first coded key, insert the

second previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the

ignition from 3 (OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition in 4 (ON) for at least

one second but no more than ten seconds).

  1. Turn the ignition to 3 (OFF) then 2 (LOCK) and remove the second

coded key from the ignition.

3

2

1

5

4

Controls and features

119

  1. Within 20 seconds of removing the second coded key, insert the new

unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition and turn the

ignition from 3 (OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition in 4 (ON) for at least

one second). This step will program your new key to a coded key.

  1. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this

procedure from step 1.

If successful, the new coded key(s) will start the vehicle's engine and the

theft indicator will illuminate for three seconds and then go out.

If not successful, the new coded key(s) will not start the vehicle's engine

and the theft indicator will flash on and off. If failure repeats, bring your

vehicle to your dealership to have the new spare key(s) programmed.

Controls and features

120

Reply to
Ted

My original response was: (You simply need to have two new keys cut for the vehicle and reprogrammed). That is all there is to it.

Reply to
Ted

... that should be enough for Toyota's production for a year or two... once the other mfgs are gone...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

well, Toyota, Chrysler, Ford, honda, and so forth.. gives many HUNDREDS of unique chips for everyone in the WORLD..

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

as far as I know it has not changed but will check it out. the Ilco Auto Truck key blank reference 2006 still shows OBP on most models up through 2006. see below.

_Blank_Reference_%5B2852-E-1105%5D.pdf has a length of 98 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:

'Key

article does not apply to the subject. vats key is not to be compared to a transponder key.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

then why did you say "as it pertains to the topic at hand" ?

Reply to
'Key

it appears to still stand true. refer to my post news:E59Nf.57206$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com

Reply to
'Key

I'm not following what your saying. GM can be done without any tool. got nothing to do with 'different' tool. Transponders are transponders. GM/Ford/Chrysler will all be using the same transponders. Its the software in their modules that will determine if you need a tool or not. I can't say that Ford does not need a tool because I don tknow there system. But having written software for these systems I can safely say that there is no reason for requiring a tool.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I didnt read the article. But VATS vs. PATS is irrelevant. Whats relevant if they built in a way to reprogram the system with or without a tool. GM PATS does not require a tool. I'm sure the dealership will be happy to claim otherwise. If you have a tool you can do it faster, but without a tool, you can still do it yourself.

Reply to
dnoyeB

think HAND HELD COMPUTER.. thats the 'tool' FORDS REQUIRE starting in 2000 for most models, this programming tool to access the on board computer to add new keys WHEN the keys are LOST>. no way around it..

GM keys that HAVE a transponder do NOT require the hand held device to be plugged in in order to add keys when they are lost and new are cut.. BUT it takes 'longer time'..

CHRYSLER requires a PHONE CALL TO CHRYSLER there is a 'pin number for the on board computer to ACCESS IT, with the hand held programming tool needed in ADDITION..

comes down to 'they want to maintain the BUSINESS, so THEY force the tool need..

my local Ford deealer had to buy a new diagnostic tool in December.. it will also program new keys into the system.. tool is $12,000 PLUS $1,000 a MONTH to update it..

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>