'83 MB Interior "wood" trim

PERFECT information. I get the picture loud and clear. Veneer is what I thought might be the case. They could have easily put in "thick" veneer given that all wood with high use need refinishing. Other parts of the car design I really enjoy. I have spent the day cleaning the switches. Amazing how much debris gets into that little hole of a switch over time. I did both the window and door swithes. They are "chock full" of parts B-B's little springs contacts etc but once you do one the others are easy to do (as long as you do not loose any parts when you first pop them open). I thought changing the headlight was a snap too. They actually designed to be replace since the bulb does burn out! I also like the position of the oil filter ( although my BMW goes them one step better i.e..) filter is in front) on top back where you can get at it with having plastic surgery on your hands to make them smaller so you can get the filter off! HA! wolf

Reply to
Wolfgang Bley

Hi Geoff,

On the pieces that had fallen off (or were broken off), I painted the wood and the aluminum with contact cement, let it set until it was almost dry and then joined the surfaces together. On the pieces where I had to inject the cement, I gently squeezed the wood against the aluminum to spread the cement, waited about ten minutes, then bonded them together. The problem I noticed was that the glue tended to lift off the aluminum when I touched it (to see if it was dry). Perhaps there was some wax/ArmorAll residue on the panel (I don't know what the previous owner may have done and I didn't wipe it down with alcohol... not much forethought on my part).

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Delaney