1999 Chrysler Concorde LXI Window / Door Handle / Speaker / Door

I have a 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXI. I just repaired the driver's side front window since it was going up crooked. The clip was broken. I couldn't get the broken clip off so with some Gorilla glue and clamps, I was able to glue the broken piece back on and it seems to work fine. Chrysler really makes me mad because they knew this was a problem and didn't fix it.

Since I had to take the window off - that led to more problems...

While I was repairing that, I apparently broke part of the door handle that attaches to this metal bar so that you can get out of the car. I have tried to use Gorilla glue and crazy glue to repair this small plastic piece from the door handle but it keeps breaking when I put the metal piece back into it from the door. How much is somthing like this going to cost for the parts? Also, how hard is this to do since it seems like there are clips or fasteners of some type and not screws. Do I need to buy the whole part with the wood trim or can I just buy the moving part?

Since I was in the door anyways, I thought i would replace the speaker that sounds blown. As I understand, this is another item that has a service bulletin on it since it need an amplifier. Can they get anything right? I just unplugged the speaker and wrapped electrical tape around the end. Any other suggestions or will a new speaker have the same problem? How do you get that speaker out?

Final problem is with the door panel. Not the metal part but the part with the handle and window and lock buttons. I obviously didn't have the door panel back on right since it kept sticking and was hard to get out of the car. All of the 3 screw holes on the bottom of the door panel have broken off. Is there anyway to repair this or am I just better getting a new panel and that will fix the handle and the bottom of the door problem? What will a new door panel cost installed?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Reply to
vegascyclist

I used a hairdryer on the plate for almost 15 minutes and the plate would not come off. The window is fine now. My next goal is to get the interior door handle off. Does anybody have any instructions for that? I called the Chrysler dealer and they want $100 for the handle. Does that sound right? Is the Dodge Intrepid handle the same? Is it easy to put on? Once the handle is fixed then I will move on to putting the door back on properly.

Reply to
vegascyclist

I'll be surprised if the Gorilla glue holds it for very long, but I could be wrong. The clip comes off with blow dryer heat and pliers: Once the glue is hot and soft, pry the clip off the glass with pliers - pry off of one side of the glass, and then pull it free from the other side.

Read my post (4th post), complete with pictures, in this thread on the

300M Club forums:
There is a TSB on the problem, and DC came out with some special washers to cover the holes and hold the door panel on. Take the part number for the washers for your interior color to the dealer and have them order them. You ought to get enough to do all of your doors - they all will eventually break without these washers - the washers will prevent them breaking.

Bill Putney

It doesn't just fall off. You have to pry (bend) one side of the clip loose from the glass with a pair of pliers after heating, and then heat the other side and pull it loose. Any glue residue would be scraped with a razor blade and wiped clean with rubbing alcohol before gluing on a new clip.

Might have been more accurate to say "The window is fine for now". :)

Bill Putney

Reply to
vegascyclist

I've never had to replace one so I don't know the answer to that, but from reading LH car forums, it's my understanding that you used to have to buy the whole door panel, but that they later made just the handle available.

Get the part number, then go to an on-line discount dealer like

and plug the part number into their parts price look-up. Whatever the going price is at your run of the mill list or list plus 20% local dealer, you will save quite a bit even after shipping cost.

For used, you might try

- they will present you with contact info. and pricing for local junk yards that have the part. You would not find the handle itself, but may score an entire panel for a good price. Might be a little risky ensuring that the panel matches your interior unless your intent is to salvage just the handle from it.

Bill Putney

Reply to
vegascyclist

I did a quick search on the 300M Club forums, and this thread was one of the hits:

Read the last post.

Bill Putney

After reading Glenn's (maxpower's) post, I looked up the TSB.

Below my signature is info. (without figures) from the TSB that Glenn referred to. One of the figures is an image of a whole long table of part numbers for all permutations of doors, LH model, and interior color (roughly 35 part numbers). If you give me your trim code, whether the handle is chrome or not, and whether the bezel is woodgrain or not, I will post back with the part number from that TSB.

Just picking the part number for a Concorde driver door with wood grain bezel, chrome handle, and K9 trim code, the part number is 05102858AA, according to the

site, the list is $95, their price to you is $78 (plus shipping).

Oh - a little tip on Chrysler part numbers: TSB's put a leading zero on the part numbers they give. But guess what - the dealer parts computers (and on-line dealer parts look-ups) won't recognize the number with a leading zero - so if the parts guy or a web site says the part number does not exist, just give them the same number *without* the leading zero.

FROM TSB No. 23-013-04:

Interior - Front Door Handle or Bezel Replacement

GROUP: Body

DATE: May 4, 2004

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 23-047-02, DATED DEC. 13, 2002, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES UPDATES TO THE PARTS REQUIRED AND AN ADDITIONAL MODEL YEAR.

SUBJECT: Interior Front Door Handle/Bezel Replacement

OVERVIEW: This bulletin provides information to allow replacement of interior front door handle/bezel instead of replacement of the door trim panel.

MODELS:

1998 - **2004** (LH) LHS/300M/Concorde/Intrepid

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

An interior front door handle/bezel requires replacement.

**PARTS REQUIRED:

NOTE :Each kit contains one handle/bezel assembly, six pushnuts and an instruction sheet.

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

  1. Remove the front door trim panel using the procedures outlined on TeChCONNECT or in Section 23 of the appropriate service manual.

  1. After placing the door trim panel on a clean work surface, use a

21/64 in. drill bit to drill out the mounting boss heat stakes that attach the existing door handle/bezel to the trim panel. Take extra care to drill in the center of each heat stake, (Fig. 1).

  1. Remove the existing handle/bezel from trim panel.

  2. Clean the back of the trim panel of all plastic filings.

  1. Seat the new handle/bezel into position.

  2. Place the push nuts onto the handle/bezel bosses.

  1. Use a 10 mm socket to install the push nuts all the way down on the mounting bosses to secure the handle/bezel onto the door trim panel. Using a wiggling side to side motion may be helpful, (Fig. 2).

  2. Install the lock switch from the original handle/bezel to the new door handle/bezel.

  1. Install the door trim panel using the procedures outlined on TechConnect or in Section 23 of the appropriate service manual.

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

FAILURE CODE:

Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Ahh - you are correct - I just posted the text contents of the TSB after reading your post and looking up the TSB.

Bill Putney

Nice tip, max, ty for the tip re the parts #'s.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Bill,

Where can you get the TSBs? Also my '99 Concorde LXi has a grey handle with wood trim around it. Thanks for all of your help.

Reply to
vegascyclist

You're welcome.

The TSB's are included in alldata.com subscriptions. Dealers can look them up and print them. I can only assume that decent dealers would provide them to you as a courtesy if you give them the TSB no. and ask.

It would be best if you had the actual Chrysler color code, but I realize that you might not have that at hand. I'm going to guess that it is code AZ - agate, which is a dark grey used in '99. Again, a dealer would be able to verify your interior color code if you give them your VIN no. You might just want to have them print you out a complete build list from your VIN - it is a 2 or 3 page printout that defines your car down to the last nut and bolt. I scanned mine into my computer for reference when I need to order a part that is option-dependent.

OK - so '99 Concorde left front door handle, trim code AZ, color handle (not chrome), woodgrain bezel - that would make your part number

05102854AA (remember to omit the leading '0'). They must all be the same price - comes up on chryslerpartsdirect.com at $95 list/$78 your price just like the chrome handle I used as an example in the last post.

Bill Putney

Well you were right. The window doesn't open properly again. I guess I need to heat up the metal and pry it off. What is the best way to heat it? Should a hair dry work? How can I tell if it is hot enough? How long should I heat it? Am I going to be bending the metal away from the glass on each side? Once this is done - then I can buy the handle.

Reply to
vegascyclist

Yes

Ahh grasshoppah - you will know when it is right. Don't over-think it. You're simply softening the glue so the force you have to apply to peel the metal away from the glass isn't going to break the glass - and I think there will be plenty of safety margin for any reasonably warm temperature - doesn't have to be so hot that you can't touch it.

See above

Exactly - put slip-joint plier jaws (small pliers work - doesn't have to be large Channel Locks?) on the top edge of the metal and on the bottom of the 'U' shape on one side, and pivot the pliers to peel it away.

Once this is done - then I can buy the handle.

I hope you finally get it fixed to stay fixed.

Bill Putney

The clip has been removed!!!! I didn't realize how much adhesive was there. Now the question is how do I get the adhesive off. What adhesive do I use to attach the new clip?

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
vegascyclist