'92 190E 2.6 runs great, WHY?

I just finished replacing O2 sensor, plugs, air cleaner filter, oil change and filter and cleaned air temperature sensor in air cleaner snokel also cleaned battery cables and posts. Car used to stumble after start (was told to have air/fuel reset) which I have yet to do..... Suddenly the car runs great, with pep and energy and, NO Warm Up Holding of a low gear for the first mile or so .....just get in and drive what did I do wrong?................Rick

Reply to
r parris

Hmmm... I am wondering what you are asking of us... your car ran great after you did routine maintenanced... yet you are sort of asking how to put it back to crappy running condition?

I would say the cleaning the battery cable and post probably did the most trick... second is the O2 sensor.

Reply to
Tiger

No...there is now, NO "stuck in gear feeling, of pulling a trailer while the catalytic converter warms up. This started two days ago. You can now get in the car, after overnight, start it, and drive it ....with immediate gear changes............no lugging.

Reply to
r parris

It is summertime now... it is hot enough or warm enough that the emission control system have estimated that you don't need those extended gear shifting interval.

I forgot to ask you how many wires you have on that O2 sensor... If you have three or four, then that is a heated O2 sensor... If I am correct, then your heater on that old O2 sensor is dead.

When winter come, that extended shifting will come back.

Reply to
Tiger
3wires, 2 white, 1 black, The O2 sensor that is the same as Mustang 5.0 heated. the Mercedes plugs, were spliced, and soldered onto it. I thought something was wrong when it no longer refused to change gear, untl the catalytic converter warmed up
Reply to
r parris

I'd say that you should count your blessings and put a little extra in the offering plate this Sunday.

I just had my wife's car serviced (120K) and part of the exhaust system replaced. It now runs like new - engine is smooth and has great acceleration. I'm sure not going to question or complain about it! I'm just hoping it doesn't need more work for a while.

:-)

Reply to
Josh