1996 Nissan Quest Hesitation problem

I have had an intermittent hesitation problem since the car was at the 35000 mile mark. It starts off one hesitation in every 10 accelerations. Gradually, it gets more and more frequent until the car stahls. For the longest time the Dealer kept putting cannot duplicate problem on the ticket. Finally at the 60000 mile mark when it finally dies, the replace the mass air flow sensor and that appears to fix it until about 12000 miles later and then it starts it all over again. Finally gets so bad and stalls again at

120000 miles, I took it in again and they replace the mass air flow sensor again and it solves for this time for about 2000 miles. After many a shop gets their asses kicked by this problem they say that they cant work on it any more. So they put their tails between their legs and yell uncle!. At 160000 I took it to a dealer again and they replaced, Rear O2 sensor, distributer, fuel pump, Knock sensor and harness, Throttle position sensor and computer. Cleaned the Idle control valve and finally re-replacing the mass air flow sensor. The car is still hesitating but now it is back to the hesitation like it was before the stahl severity. Again the dealer calls out uncle! and gives up. Nissan customer affiars gave the same answer as the did when it was at the 60000 mile mark saying sorry it is out of warranty and there is nothing we can do. So essentially, I have a car that cannot be fixed. The question the needs to be answered is. Why does replacing the mass air flow sensor seem to make a substantial impact on the issue every time. Additionally, in all cases the Mass air flow sensor has always tested good. The same mass air flow sensor that failed on my quest worked fine in another quest.

Any Ideas from anyone would be helpful.

Reply to
Whirlwind

check out this yahoo group. They helped me alot:

Reply to
clevere

ECU? Has anyone ever tried replacing it?

In all honesty the MAS will always "pass the test" in th service manual but can easily be bad. The only real way to tell if it's the problem is to install a known good one. Also what kind of air filter are you using? Those "Quicky lube" air filters will kill a MAS in a heartbeat. I hope the dealer replaced the air filter with a nissan one when they replaced the MAS?

Reply to
Steve T