95 E320 engine replacement

Hi,

My 95 E320 Sportline (110,000 miles) leaks oil and I've also noticed the brown substance in the coolant. I've read about the common problem with the head gasket in these models causing such leakage. But before I take it to a repair shop (and get faced with a $$$ bill!), I'd like to get some background information.

- Approximately how much would it cost (assuming the head gasket is the problem) for this kind of job? Would I have to change the radiator too or can that just be flushed? Is this kind of thing worth fixing or should I just sell the car (i.e. is it a recurring problem or a one-time fix)?

Also, does anybody have experience with or know much about replacing the 95 E320 engine completely with a 95 E420 engine - cost, level of effort, practicality (finding someone who'll do it), etc.?

Thanks, JQ

Reply to
JQ

I have yet to read about leaking head gaskets being a common problem on the 104 engine found in you '95 E320. I have read about oil leakage problems where the timing case cover meets the area at the end of the head gasket/head and block. Usually head gaskets don't leak unless the engine has been overheated. As far a switching over to a '95 E420 engine, I would say you would be better off just finding a nice E420. However, I've seen so many overheating E420's that I finally gave up on the idea of owning one. You know the E420 engine has both aluminum heads and block. While aluminum is great if the car is maintained, if it isn't you will have corrosion problems in both the radiator, block and heads.

Reply to
VCopelan

Head gasket replace, flush coling system- $1,200. Replace engine with V-8: not practical.You would need a whole 420 car for the engine, trans, exhaust, electronics, suspension etc.- and as long as you have a whole 420, might as well drive it!

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Head gasket failure on 104 is very common. The new replacement has had stainless inserts added to cure the original problem. The front lip seal has also been modified and is done at the same time. The problem one runs into with the gasket job is they have to disturb the wire harness assembly and if it is original, the insulation will crack/flake. These have also been up-dated and the new replacement will last . These are the 2 most common faults to 124.032-104 chassis chassis 124s. The harness man. dates are 4/92 thru 8/95.

Reply to
AJDalton7

U gotta be kidding me!

Reply to
miknik

Best Regards, Dave Barnhart

93 300E
Reply to
Dave Barnhart

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 7:51:35 -0700, AJDalton7 wrote (in message ):

Thank you.

Best Regards, Dave Barnhart

93 300E
Reply to