95 Mirage Engine Repairs

I have a 95 Mirage with a 1.5L 4G15 engine. It has a little more than 144k miles on it. I have just cracked my 3rd rocker arm shaft on the intake side and I am pretty sure I'm going to at least need head gaskets if not worse. I want to do all the work myself so I need to know two things. What is the best Manuel I can get for that model for a medium skilled mechanic on CD or on paper? Any sites to check out online? Cost? Also, what should I be paying for a new head if that's what I need? Any suggested sites to buy online? What else should I consider working on when I do all this so that I don't end up with any additional repairs later? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Diego A. M.

Check on Ebay for a (mitsubishi) 93-95 Mirage or (Chrysler) 93-95 Dodge Colt / Eagle Summit workshop manual. Same car, different trim.

You can get an as-is replacement head from a wrecker for about $100, assuming yours is damaged or warped. It will need to be serviced with surface grind, new valve stem seals and lap the valves: cost about $200. A head gasket set is $50-100 depending on what bits you get. Since the head is off, you'll need a new cam belt ($30), maybe a replacement waterpump ($40) and maybe belt tensioner bearing ($50)

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

You want the factory manual.

I've found the Chilton and Haynes to be often incomplete and wrong. The manual will pay for itself the first time you use it.

Reply to
MisterSkippy

The biggest hassle i found, was removing other parts to clear the way to properly work on the head. Spark plug leads, belts ect, but after thiswas done, i had ample clear space. Taking the head off any car, is to some a complete new world. Tho if the costs of hiring a mechanic to do the work, learning some basics is a must.

Auto manuals, i feel are designed for the average driver, most in my mind do explain enough to dismantle and rebuild back to working order. WIth time and patience, i have once again had my car going. Th eHaynes manual to some are a good manual, then again you can always get your hands on the Mitusbishi service manual costing hundreds of dollars or a Haynes maunal for under 50 dollars. Both do the same thing, only less words and less pictures.

Do it your self mate, take your time and remember where things go. I have marked my plug leads and got a old sheet and marked it with large squares in a marking pen. As i remove parts i put them in a order, then when rebuilding, i go in reverse. The head and its removal, is quite simple. Rocker gear the same, putting it back after a good cleaning and remembering where things go is the problem to some.

Good luck

Peter Australia

Reply to
Peter