'97 E 320 power steering hose (high pressure)

I had a friend who's a MB technician diagnose a leaking high pressure power steering line, and I'm getting set to replace it. While it doesn't appear to be much of a job (nipple fitting on one end, banjo on the other) I'm a little concerned about what I'm finding online for the parts. About half the parts dealer out there have it for $102-125, and half for (I kid you not) $1299-1499!

Now I know which one I want to order, but has anyone else out there replaced one of these on a W210, and if so can you confirm the possibility of myself needing a $1500 rubber hose? Also, if anyone else has done this repair and has tips, I'd be thankful.

jstableford

Whoa! Unbelievable... I see what you are saying. What I'd do is take off the hose and drive it down to a local hydraulic hose shop and have them fit you a new hose. Probably cost you $100 to do this.

However, where is the leak at? The fitting? If at the fitting, then change the oring... there is an oring there. If it is positively the hose, then take it down to have them rebuilt that hose.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
jstableford

Reply to
jstableford

I think somewhere the price for the hose and the price for a new pump have become confused. Can you be specific about which sellers list the hose for $1299+? None of the on-line parts sellers I use have the pressure hose listed for more than $110 or so.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I have verified with the online reseller... what he said is true.

Reply to
Tiger

If the dealer quote you $115, then it is real... Sometime online prices are rediculous. I once bought a wiper refil for $25 when I thought I'd get a pair... and the dealer only asked for $10 each... so I returned the wiper refill.

Reply to
Tiger

I have a feeling that those listings included the whole power steering assembly - pump, hoses, gearbox, etc... Still, I'm not going to fork out $1.5k just to find out. I'll see what $100 gets me.

Thanks, J

Reply to
jstableford

Heh... no, you will just get a hose. Sometime the pricing is for like 10 of them... wierd how they think someone needs 10 of them at a time.

Just pick up a hose from dealer.

Reply to
Tiger

I'm getting it tomorrow for $117 from a dealer in Westchester, NY... I figure I should replace the seal as well, while I'm in there.

Any advice or strange experiences doing this job, anyone?

Reply to
jstableford

It is a straightforward job. Do no crossthread... if it won't go in right, move the hose to different angle to see if it threads in correctly. Do not overtighten

Reply to
Tiger

Tight, but not too tight? Like 30 ft/lbs?

Do you know if the pump will piss out PS fluid when I disc> It is a straightforward job. Do no crossthread... if it won't go in right,

Reply to
jstableford

I'm not a very good DIY mechanic, but I once replaced one on my previous Land Rover Discovery. A emergency assistance mechanic (Dutch AA) diagnosed the problem, one of the high pressure hoses had rubbed against the radiator for 11 years and had started leaking eventually. He told me having it repaired by the dealer was going to be expensive, but it was easy to do it myself.

He sent me to a truck hydraulics repair center where they put a new hose on the old 'connectors' (not the proper word), and I just screwed the new hose back in place, added new fluid moved the wheel back and forth for ages until it stopped making noises and all wwas well after that. Cost me something like 30 EURO's for the new hose.

I expect the procedure won't be much different for other cars.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Bingo. This is absolutely the way to do this.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Thanks - I actually scored a hose at the local dealership for $117, and it was a breeze going in. Thanks for all the advice!

the way to do this.

Reply to
jstableford