85 300D Fuel Shut Off

I have a 1985 300 Turbo Diesel, pretty much original. Everything works (except the sunroof). I have had it about six months. The odometer, which I believe is correct indicates 275,000 miles.

A recent development; when I turn off the key, the engine does not shut down. I have to open the hood and use the shut off lever. I don't know if the fuel cut off is electric or pneumatic, but at the same time the engine shut down begin to fail, the central locking system also began to fail.

Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance/

You have a vacuum leak. One step to diagnose is to drive around with the doors locked and see if it'll shut off with the doors locked. Then drive around with them unlocked and see if it'll shut off in that position.

It may be that some vacuum line got disconnected, too. Poke around inside the engine compartment to see if anything's just hanging loose.

The shutoff mechanism is down below the stop lever. On my car, there's a brown vacuum hose going to the valve which stops the car. If I pull the hose and turn the key off, it keeps running, but if I put a vacuum pump on it and squeeze it shuts right off. I did this diagnosis because it takes three-four seconds to shut off when I turn the key off; I know there's a leak somewhere but I also know that the shutoff stuff will work better when I find that leak. (Note that this hose should be dry inside, if there's oil in it you've got other problems.)

Good luck,

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket