97 e300 D any good?

Thinking about trading a 95 c280 for a 97 e300d. Aside from sluggish acceleration, is there anything else bad about this model?

Reply to
chris tonjes

I have one with 145k miles. Other than an erratic "Check engine" light, I have had no major problems. I am partial to the old heavy, noisy, smoky

Reply to
Joel Johnson

My Dad has a 97 E300D. I did not find the acceleration sluggish at all. Pretty crisp for a diesel. All in all a nice car. Told him I have dibs on it for the next time he upgrades . Although, considering that I am driving the car he gave me when he bought this one, and it is a 1979, I think I have a few years to wait....

Rochelle

chris t> Thinking about trading a 95 c280 for a 97 e300d. Aside from sluggish

Reply to
R & K

Rather than the lame '97, buy a '98 or '99, they both have turbodiesels.

I bought a new '97 E320 (gas) in part because no turbodiesel was offered. My E320 is now 8 years old and has gone 36K miles. It's a great freeway cruiser - just glides along, has lots of power and good economy

- about 25 to 27 mpg freeway. E320s can be bought today in reasonable condition for $15 to $18 K.

IMHO the 210 chassis has slightly too large tires for its size and weight. The result is a somewhat hard (to me) ride on local roads. Correct front wheel toe-in is important for the 210 to have good steering and minimal tire wear. Otherwise the car steers and handles beautifully.

Good luck in your search.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

It's a tank which is very safe and it gets over 30 mpg. It doesn't share many of the maladies of the gas version. P.

Reply to
pkmaven