A Class Rear Suspension knock-cause and cure

Just thought I would let you know that I have recently sorted out a knocking that my W reg A140 had developed. The knock was mainly heard when going over pot holes/drain covers or around sharp bends. On jacking up the rear of the car I detected about 4 mm play when pulling/pushing on each wheel which led me to think that the bushes/bearings at the front of the trailing arm were shot. A visit to my local Merc dealer showed that the arms are fitted with a taper roller bearing set up which they insisted was a case of fitting replacement complete trailing arms.However, bearing repair kits were shown on their parts computer and I have now fitted same and all knocking noises have ceased. The good bit- they wanted £480+vat and 4 hours to do the job.I did it for £48 total and 6 hours graft. On asking them about why a just over 3 year old car/30k mileage, had developed such a fault I was told it was "unusual".Makes you wonder just how many A Class cars have had such a problem!

tony

Reply to
hitone

Just wondering.

Do u live anywhere with a lot of speedbumps?. They can wreak havoc quite quickly in areas of the car that it comes out of the showroom in and goes to the scarp yard with. i.e should last forever. I understand that the growth in wheel bearing replacements due to more speed bumps is relative.

A thought anyway... Rob.

"hit>Just thought I would let you know that I have recently sorted out a knocking

Reply to
Rob. Smith

My wife has the same problem, has been fixed five! times within 100kkm. My mothers A has the problem also. It is well known at least to the German dealerships and usually fixed for free (at least parts). On both As the door hinges are coming apart now..... Really lousy engineering is you ask me. Florian "Rob. Smith" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Florian Diederichsen