Air-conditioning In a W124 (200E) Model

I have a W124 (200E) that is an excellent workhorse except for one peculiarity. The air-conditioning system will work beautifully so long as I use the car everyday.

If I should miss starting the engine and therefore miss switching on the air compressor or I leave the car unattended in the driveway for a day or two, then it becomes next to impossible to get the air compressor to "cut in" for the air-conditioning system to function.

I would then have to drive the car for a couple of days (under a hot sun most of the time) before ?.. presto ?.. the air compressor suddenly "cuts in" and the air-conditioning system is back running normal again!

Could anyone help, please?

Reply to
ABStaR

Sounds to me like the pressure switch. Also, check the low side pressure of the system. If the pressure falls below 20 psi, the safety switch will not permit the compressor to engage. Think of the compressor like your cars engine., you wouldn't want to run it with out oil? I don't think so! The safety switch is there to prevent the oil from migrating to your evaporator (at low pressure the oil in the compressor migrates to the evaporator. past the condenser) and the compressor running without oil. The system will kick-in at 50 psi. Also check for a possible leak.

That's my 2cents on the matter. Good luck.

Reply to
Bill G.